Saturday, January 21, 2006

V Attack

Today Total: 33k
Week Total: 77k
Month Total: 273k
Year Total: 273k

Last post Kit asked how long till the big race (ie Caboolture Dusk to Dawn). Its on Feb 4th, so just two weeks away now. Yikes!

This morning about 5:00 Clairie and I met up with Robbie and Phil and we headed off to do 10k before joining the others at 6am. We went out to UQ, which meant a few hills along the way, then around the ring road where we stopped for a quick drink then headed back.

With Robbie at the helm the pace seemed a little fast, though not uncomfortable. He's so entertaining to run with, he's like a walking, well, running, encyclopaedia when it comes to his favourite topic, which just happens to be running!

Back at The Regatta there was a good crowd ready to roll, probably 30 to 40. Some, including new recruit to the group, fellow blogger Shane, headed off to Mt Coot-tha. Others set of in the direction we'd just come from, and the bulk of us went along the bikeway into the city and beyond.

Tara (doing her first marathon in Canberra), Clairie and I hung in together. After the chasing Robbie for the earlier 10k Clairie and I were keen to slow things down a little. And it sure felt like we did, but checking our pace it didn't really drop off too much. Must've warmed up I guess.

Got to New Farm Park and I was feeling a bit zapped of energy but couldn't face a gel, so we zipped up to the local shops and I grabbed a can of V, the black one with all the good stuff in it :-) The first couple of mouthfuls did the trick and I poured the rest into my fuelbelt bottle.

Off and running again next thing there was this popping sound, and I feel something hit my arm. Bloody birds - I was sure one had hit me a very loose dark coloured poop. I was grossed out! Kept on running and a minute or so later had a bit more V from my bottle, and pushed the bottle top down. Next thing, pop! And I get squirted again. Doh! It wasn't the birds after all, it was my drink getting shaken up and then exploding :-)))

With about four kms to go we picked up the pace a little, and then with one to go Clairie shrieked something about her favourite song and she was off. Of course we had to keep up and all did that last km in 4:28, our fastest of the day. Gosh, this pair are looking fantastic for their first marathon!

All up 33k in around 2hr 51 min. According to the Garmin the first 10k we averaged 5:12 pace, and the next 23k around 5:17s.

The journey home from New Farm was probably the easiest part of the run for me, must've been that bird poop I was drinking :-)

That reminds me. What do you do if a bird shits on your windscreen?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Never take her out again :-)

17 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Gee,we've become all scattological in Team J lately :-)

Great run though. Any sign of our Colin?

12:03 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

*LOL* great joke! ;)

12:35 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Wow 33km. You make it sound so easy and fun.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Great running and I'll make sure I avoid the bird poop.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Oh yuk! You deserve to be attacked by your drink bottle for that one.

12:08 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

HA HA. I can't believe you put a fizzy drink in a pop-top bottle! I'm a big fan of V and all those other energy drinks (especially Redeyes), but not as big as my mate next to me in the office. Check out my blog for a picture of his collection of V bottles and cans!

1:05 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

That is a cracking pace for a 33k training run Tesso - I'm in awe!

Nice job mate ;-)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Groan! :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ahh what can I say ;-)

Attacked by a can of V- team J are working hard to out do in the odd injury/accident department hahaha Luck not too much damage done by fizzy drink!

2 Weeks- gulp- you will be FINE!!!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Flashduck was amused on Friday when I screamed when a pigeon decided to make me his toilet. First time for me, have you been pooped on before?

7:58 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

That's a top run at a solid pace.

My popping sounds are usually blamed on other runners rather than birds or drink bottles ;-).

8:23 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

ha ha ha Tesso reading about the V incident is almost as funny as being there!!! Though I have to admit I laughed damn hard when we realised what it was...more from relief than anything else I guess because I was having images of the triffeds attacking you as we walked past that tree ha ha ha

So glad to hear you were doing well in the last bit of the run. I was dying then so it shows how much of an endurance runner you really are. You will do so well at Caboolture and I am so proud to have someone I know in that long long race.

That 4:28km was fast heh...but I liked finishing that way. Amazing how we can go for a (nearly) three hour run and not even use our ipods...must be so much gossip out there.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

That's a great run at a fairly solid pace Tesso. You are looking good to crack the century at Caboolture.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Good run Tesso. Never been pooped on but have been attacked by Magpies plenty of times. Looking good for Canberra. See you on Aust Day.

9:30 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

hehehe...good one!

I've entered the date of the Dusk to Dawn in my organiser (aka mobile phone) so I won't forget. I want to wish you luck on the day - what time does it start? How are you feeling about it - its sound as though the running is coming along really well. Its not long to go now hey! Will you be using your ipod for part of it - it won't last the distance will it, or will it?

10:21 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

Depending on what work throws up I think I might go to the Sunny Coast the weekend of the Caboolture run - that way I can stop by and give you a bit of vocal support - not that you need it they way you're going.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Not another wardrobe malfunction!

Seriously, you are making me jealous, Can't wait to get back into it.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home