Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Family Affair

Today Total: 7k
Week Total: 86k
Month Total: 196k
Year Total: 196k

I'm looking after a couple of my nephews (7 and 9) for a few days. Hmmmm, how do I do this and not miss out on running? Oh, and not go crazy, though that's an entirely separate issue.

I hate missing races, and it was the fortnightly BRRC meet this morning, a 7k and a 14k. So I offered the kids money to come along and help out by picking up cups. My superior negotiating skills got the price down from the $8 they were demanding to a more reasonable $5 :-)

We arrived in time for the longer race, but once there I decided after yesterday's 30k that 7k was more a sensible option. There was a big turnout for the 14k. Blogger Shane was there, and Greg, the kids 'fitness trainer', his triathlon crowd rolled up to race.

Anyway, my plan was not to race flat out, but to run at a steady 4:45 pace. Robert Song was at the Orleigh Park turnaround but I was so busy listening to Steve The Footman's broken leg story I didn't see him ... until he made a smart comment about me ignoring him :-) And Lady Jove was a water station sergeant, hope she's still talking to me after I left those assistants there to annoy her.

Running back towards the city I spotted my sister walking. After talking about it for a while she had finally joined up BRRC. I suggested to her that she should come along and start walking when the longer run starts but walk the short distance, that way she wouldn't be finishing way behind everyone. But today she was running (well, walking) late.

It was pretty humid, and I think that made the steady 4:45s not as easy as hoped. My splits were -

4:48
4:40
4:50
4:44
4:44
4:59 (what ???)
4:22

Total - 33:09

Lots of people seem to have a long 6th km, I'm wondering with the work being done on the boardwalk if the marker there was accurate. Anyway, seeing that on my watch I really put the foot down for the last one (I know it was accurate as the marker was in the usual spot).

It was good to see Radar and his pooch running in the other direction in the final stretch. Fantastic, he's back in action! .... I have to say that, he reads my blog :-)

The humidity made for a tough morning, but there was no holding back Claire Geraghty who ran an unbelievable race (53.?? I think) to do a 2 minute course record in the 14k - the previous record was set in 1991! And we wear the same type of Lorna Jane running tights, though hers a tad smaller and they go faster :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Your nephew's were pretty emphusiastic about picking up the cups, doing a great job.

I was suprised to see you not lining up for 14k, but after reading about yesterdays run, good call I reckon. Nice recovery run for you, quick last split, nice one.

53 minutes you say for Claire, that is quick, do those Lorna Jane pants come in mens? :)

6:36 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Geez Tesso - 196k at the half-way mark for the month! I don't think you have to worry about being 22 mins short on Saturday!

Simply awesome ;-)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh, bugger! If I'd known you were coming I might've managed to haul myself out of bed on time afterall (late night = no early run for this gal) Still, I did end up running much longer today as a result (penance!) so perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing afterall!

I think I need some of those Lorna Jane pants, too! (though not a good visual there at all LOL!)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great negotiation skills there Tesso. Can I use you when negotiating with my kids? I'm glad you chose to go short today after your 30km effort yesterday or I might be tempted to say something about your recovery powers. Things are looking good for Caboolture in a couple of weeks.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

A good weekend of runnign Tesso. It does take a big mental commitment and preparation to get those long runs over three hours. Great to back up the next day for the race, and it looks liek the pacing was pretty good, considering the conditions and doing it on tired legs.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Hi Tesso,

Glad to see you didn't push yourself too much and do the 14km at BRRC, as we have a big week coming up this week.

I am so enthused about running at the moment and I am sure it is all thanks to you and your enthusiasm - it is catching and also having someone to run with who shares your passion is fun and very rewarding. (because we continually challenge each other - well you challenge me anyhow :) )

12:05 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Great efforts over the weekend Tess - including the baby-sitting and negotiating. It's a handy skill a learn I can assure you ;)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I'm with Shane on this one, maybe there are Larry Jane pants for men!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

What an effort Tess! I can't believe you can race after a long run... you will do sooo well on your 12hr debut!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home