Monday, January 30, 2006

CR 5k Challenge

Saturday: 13k
Week Total: 49k
Month Total: 335k
Year Total: 335k

Ran an easy 3k warmup to meet up with a bunch of CRs at the start line of the 5k Challenge. The goal was to get close to 21:30, but wouldn't have been surprised if I was a little over that. This time last year I ran 21:03 which was my PB.

Pre race it was great to catch up with other CRs and fellow bloggers including Kit (who had a great run!!!), Superflake, Don Juan, sfGnome, Wild Thing, and the blogger formerly known as Benny R - Captain Chunderbolt.

I took off with the 21 minute group, with Ray leading the pack. I was at the back from the word 'go' and it seemed forever before I even caught up to or passed any of them. About the 2 1/2 km mark I went past JD, and really put the foot down so as to hold him off for as long as possible ... I knew with his fast finishing it was only at matter of time.

Funny how the whole thing becomes a blur, runners from the faster groups must have passed me but I only remember The Colin (really early on) and then Boof at around 4k. With just 1k I figured with a bit of hard work I might just crack the 21:30 so went for it. I was still expecting the JD to do his usual trick, but was more worried about my own time than anything else.

Ran the last km in 4:03 and crossed the finish line in 21:12. Only 9 seconds off my PB and way better than I had expected. Oh, and JD never caught me :-)

Score - JD 1, Tesso 1. Next race - Canberra Marathon. Gulp!

5 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

One each now? Well done Tesso - and in a seriously good time too!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Well done Tesso, great time and last Km split. See ya at Caboolture :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Bennyr said...

Great to see you again, Tesso.

Good work in holding off JD. I was beginning to wonder whether you guys were conjoined twins given how close you are in every race I see you in.

Cheers,
Ben

9:48 AM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Glad you enjoyed it ( esp. beating JD :-). sfG said you all had a lovely time at breakfast. Maybe we will catch up next time you are down.

TA

10:18 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Good time Tesso. Close to your PB so that's fantastic - especially the fast finish. Well done on the victory over JD.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home