Sunday, February 05, 2006

Caboolture Dusk to Dawn

This is just going to be a quick post. I'm feeling a little on the lathargic side right now, can't be bothered writing too much. Then again, how do you summarise a 12 hour race into a quick post!

What can I say, what an absolutely unbelievable night. I arrived up there just before 4.30pm to set up camp, and within half an hour the place was rockin'! There were so many CRs out there, running, lap scoring, supporting. Several times I wished we were just there for a party :-)

Taking on all the advice from fellow CRs who've done this sort of thing before, not just what to do but probably more importantly what not to do, it was hard to go wrong really. I had sooooo much food and sooooo many drinks, and back came home with soooo much food and sooooo many drinks. But I wasn't wanting for anything.

For the race my A goal was 100k, my B goal 90k. As I commented to someone I was running with, 100k is 'pie in the sky' and 90k is 'sausage roll in the sky' :-) I figured if I could get through 57k in the first six hours then 100k was possible. At six hours (midnight) I'd run exactly 57k. So now just a little more than a marathon to go. Still, you never know.

At 2am it was 74 1/2 km, and at 3am 83k. I knew then I might do it, even if I had to walk ... though it would be a fast walk! 4am was 91 1/2k. I think that's the first time I was confident. Half an hour later I realised I'd not just crack the 100k but I might be able to do it under 11hrs - it was good mentally to have a new goal. I upped the pace slightly and crossed for my 100k in 10hrs 58mins :-)

I ran the next couple of laps but then got a bit lazy and started walking. I probably could have run a few more but once I'd walked two or three I couldn't be bothered getting going again. To be honest this was the hardest hour, the time went so slow, I was tempted just to sit down. I even had a toilet break at 10 to 6 to kill time!

I must say there is no way in the world I could've done what I did without all the support. Biggest thanks must go to Clairie, dunno where she gets the energy from. She even made bit signs, one of them with a message I had received from the lovely 2P. She kept me going in those last few hours. I honestly could not have done it without her. Its hard to find the words to describe her other than to say this girl really is one in a million. And to Matty as well, with his hourly updates of placings, that really helped me stay motivated and certainly stopped my slacking off. Not just that but his enthusiasm and encouragement and help etc etc was priceless.

Then of course there's all the other CRs. I'll talk about that in my long, ok, longer post, because if I do it now I'm bound to forget somebody and they were all fantastic.

Thanks so very much to all for your good luck wishes - they worked :-)


Clairie's signs



Mmmm... donuts :-)

25 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Tesso you are the best.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

I want to run as far as my friend Tesso!
Congratulations on cracking the 100ks and doing the 12hours. Now to get some speed work going for Canberra as you have all the stamina needed.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

FanTESStic!

Super effort Tesso, look foward to sharing some kms with you at PMC.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

WOOHOO! you go! It was an honour to be out there running with you :) xxx

7:09 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Wow. Pure guts. Awsome Tess, just awsome.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Awesome run, I saw you just before 1am and you were still looking so strong. You deserve this more than anyone else I can think of.. it took me the whole first hour of my run to get up to where you were on the track and then I think we played cat and mouse for a while, everytime I saw you you were smiling - you couldnt ask for more than that in a 12hour run really. Well Done.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on a fantastic run Tesso. I knew you would crack the century but to do so in under 11 hours was an awesome effort. Enjoy the rest and recovery. Welcome to the Centurions Club.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Congratulations Tesso.
Superb effort and a real milestone (excuse the pun).

8:09 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

It's official - you are Team J athlete of the month for February and YOU are now MY hero ;-)

Huuuuuge congrats Tesso!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Tesso, I'm just absolutely delighted for you. Congratulations! I caught the news on CR this morning before heading off to Kangawa Half. I'll give you one guess what I was using as inspiration today...and then guess who then jagged a totally unexpected PB!! You don't realise how far your influence goes...

9:11 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Wow 100km that is awesome. Well done!!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

A really fantastic effort. Looking forward to hearing all the details.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Tesso
What can I say?
You looked fantastic out there last night. What a huge achievement! I wish I could have stayed for the rest of the night but I had cirquelet commitments today that I couldn't miss.

Next year!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tess I never doubted for a minute you would achieve your goal!!! You are a really genuine and gentle spirit and deserve such a fantastic result!! Now you can put your feet up and bask in the glory!! Team J has set the bar high... Steve even had a pb! Well if it is anything to go by Canberra here we come ;-)

6:40 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tesso you would have done the 12hours without any support. We all know how committed and determined a person you are. Though I am sure we just made it that much more fun!!

I was looking through my photos this morning and was amazed again to see how bloody great you looked at the end. It's not fair!!! Everyone else looks like they have run for 12 hours. You look no different to the photo we took before the race.

Damn now my before and after shots won't be so effective *grins*...

I have a great shot of you and Tamika at the very end. I think it captures a lot of the emotion at the end.

Hope you are fully recovered for the time trial tomorrow morning (now Tess...that was a joke!!).

Love your work Girlfriend!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Tesso, congratualtions on such a massive achievement. Mission accomplished, you must be soooooo stoked.......

7:54 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Wow! Unbelievable effort. Deserves at least another photo in R4YL. Onward and upward?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Wow, the glow of this achievement will last for weeks! Well done Tesso, I'm very proud to know you!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Tesso! I came over from sir iliketoast after seeing the shout out he gave you. That is quite an accomplishment. I have my first 24 hour race coming up in March. Great Job!

10:34 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well superlatives won't do you justice!
Well done on a remarkable achievement and many more inspiring to come!

4:07 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Not surprised you're feeling a little lethargic afer that effort - that was awesome! So glad to hear it all went really well and sounds like you were very lucky in having such a suportive person in Clairie. Well done Tess - you done well!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Good on you Tesso!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Incredible Tesso.
So far. So far.
You ran through the dark side and into the light.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tess, You are not only "my hero" but "my heroine" as well! Anytime in future, when I feel like giving in (Canberra 50km!!)... I'll think of you, your courage & sheer guts to get through those 12 hours as well as getting such remarkable results! Yopu've inspired me to definitely have a go at this when I can find one nearer to home. Love & hugs from your pal...little old LL!

9:53 PM  
Blogger miners said...

It was, it WAS the donuts - I knew it!!

Amazingly fantastic effort Tess - I'm so proud of what you were able to achieve on the night - just so inspiring.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home