Sunday, February 19, 2006

Long Run - River Loop

Saturday: 35k
Week Total: 80k
Month Total: 257k
Year Total: 633k

About 10 of us met up at The Ship Inn at 5am Saturday. A few of the group were doing a shorter run, and six of us (Karen, Mark aka iliketoast, Tara, Ciaran, Geoff and I) planned to do a 'river loop'. This can be anywhere from 20k to 42k depending on short cuts etc, I was hoping to do at least 30k.

We ran out along Coro Dve first and around UQ (nice hills), then over the Indooroopilly Bridge, through Chelmer etc, took the 'scenic' route through Yeronga, up past the cemetary (not nice hills!). When we got to Highgate Hill it was 28.2k on Mark's trusty Garmin so Karen and I ran back to South Bank a sort of longish way to make it a little over 30k. Once back at The Ship Inn I figured I'd try for another half hour and ran out West End way and back. Guess that added at least 5k. Ran into newest dark side recruit Liz-N along the way, she's recovered really well from her 57k at Caboolture and can't wait to do it all again!

All up it was a little over 35k and time taken was 3h20m so mission accomplished. I wanted to do a long slow run on no fuel and I managed it. No brekky, and just a weak electrolyte mix in the Camelbak (which I'm happy to say didn't chafe at all). After about 2 hours of running I was feeling like I needed a gel or something .... something like a big juicey hamburger really :-) But within 10 minutes or so felt okay again.

Guess the weather wasn't really on our side, it was hot and soooooo humid. Then again, its almost worth putting up with that to be able to jump in the pool at South Bank at the end .... well, almost.



The yellow spot is The Ship Inn. The red line is a (very) rough idea of the 35k river loop, and the blue line makes cuts it down to 30k.

15 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

That map looks very familiar to me Tesso.Add loop at the Uni and you have mapped my Sunday run. Only, as you know, I went in the other direction. Good to see you this morning Tesso.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Looks like we're losing you to the dark side with training runs like that (says he with 6' track entry). Good run.

I'd be making a blue-line to the nearest burger joint on that route too.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Looks like a great place to run. I hope you've had your burger now! I'm looking forward to seeing you on Thurday!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

What a fantastic course. Deserved a hamburger and a soak in the pool after that one.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Huge run!!! Well done tess! I have no idea how you did it with no fuel??? Thanks for the comments.. I felt a million times better as soon as I skulled a heap of water!!!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good run but I'm curious why your intent was 'no fuel' before-hand and no gel (or something) at the 2hr mark.

Please tell me you ate heaps the night before.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Ah-ha, thats where you guys were and no, it was the Intraining guys (I was told by the new darkside recruit who I saw as she was starting) who had a very light training schedule this week :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

My god Tesso - don't you ever get tired? I'm in awe of you, particularly as it has taken me all week to run 100km, compared to your 12hour effort.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Big run Tesso. Am I right in assuming you are training for 6ft or Canberra. Which one?

6:54 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Tesso - 35k AND a Camelbak - god I love that kind of talk ;-)

8:19 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

You really pile on the K's Tesso!
I reckon that i run less than 20km per week in fact 15km would be closer most weeks.You just keep on going,well done.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Thanks for running with me, hope you recovered well. Only a few more of those to go before Canberra.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Well done Tess. Lets hope the weather will be much nicer for you in Canberra.

8:33 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Great long run Tess - sort of follows part of the Marathon course from the looks.

Love to see you dabbling with google earth now :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

It's so weird to read the extreme swings in temperature people are experiencing in blog land. Just left trimama in Minnesota who is experienceing 20F below!! Now you, "too hot & humid". Y'all should come to Seattle... it's been sunny... but colder than usual. I guess a lack of cloud cover will do that.

Nice run!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home