Monday, February 13, 2006

BRRC 10 Mile Champs

Sunday: 16k
This Week Total: 50k
Month Total: 177k
Year Total: 553k

*****

First up a couple of replies ....

RunDave asked "Where do you get Usana, and how much does it cost? What flavours are there?"
I organised it through my massage guy, he set me up an account with Usana. Its from the USA and not available over the counter here as far as I know. The Nutrimeal is $35 I think and it comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

R2B said "Hiya Tesso i imagine that if you are comfortable enough to run at 5:15 pace all the time then your 3km time trial best would be around 11:30?(just a bit of guess work to start the week!)"
I wish! My best time (Feb 2005) is 11:53, though since then most have been over the 12 minute mark.

*****

It was pouring rain when I arrived at West End Sunday at around 5:35am but at least it wasn't hot ... or cold! Clairie and I had planned a 2k warmup but after standing around talking etc only managed a 2 minute one.

My goal for the 10 miles was 1hr20m, though after last weekend's effort I figured anything under 1h25m would be okay. I knew a couple of the faster girls weren't running so with championship points on the line I was hoping to be in the top 5.

I settled into a steady pace just under 5min kms. After about 10 mins I realised there were just four girls in front so concentrated on maintaining that pace. Then I got overtaken by another girl, but didn't want to push it so was happy to be 6th. But she stopped to do up a shoelace and she never came back at me.

Around halfway, I put in a bit of extra effort to catch up to the girl in front of me - I think 'Ice Ice Baby' on the iPod got me revved up :-) I checked her hands (where they write your category) but they weren't marked. So she was a non-member and if she did finish in front of me it wouldn't matter. But I had her now so didn't want to give up too easily. We played a bit of cat and mouse before I finally got away.

From that point onwards I was running just under 4:50s and wasn't overtaken by anyone, in fact I passed at least five or six guys. It wasn't quite life in the fast lane, but maybe life in transit lane :-) The last three kms were progressively faster and the final one 4:28. My splits were all sub 5mins except for one where I had to tie my shoelace, it was a 5:02. Total time - 1h18m37s :-)

Once again young Claire G had a blinder, finishing first in 1:01.??, quite possibly a course record. Not bad for somebody who's only been running seriously for a year! Luckily the girl who came second wasn't a member so our Clairie picked up 99 points and I got 98.

Oh, and I think all we CRs that were there came home with medals :-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Robert Song said...

We may be "Together in Electric Dreams" but "Ice Ice Baby" ????? ;-)

Looks like you have recovered well.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Looks like you've rocovered from the 12 hr race really quickly.

Glad to see the competitive juices are in full flight!!

9:41 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Ah - you'll have to suggest to the organisers that you mark the back of each other's calves with the age groups (like in a tri). That's the best way to determine whether the person in front is worth the effort of over-taking or not ;)

Great racing by the brissie girls!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

You girls are on fire up North!!!! What is int he water! Well run Tess... sub 5's after your 100miler is an awesome effort!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Ice Ice Baby?? There are some things you shouldn't mention to the public :)

You ran great yesterday, everyone seemed to have a good morning plenty of bling for the CR's

8:42 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You must have a Rolls Royce engine purring away under the bonnet Tesso. You certainly operate like top class machinery, but with a heart beat.

8:47 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Another gong!!! Well done Tesso ;-)

I like Miners idea - much better to look at cute calves than ordinary old wrists....

10:18 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Yo, stop, collaborate and LISTEN! Ice is back with a brand new VEANGENCE! Something - grabs ahold of me TIGHTLY, pulls like a hawk, daily and NIGHTLY!

Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know
Turn on the lights, and I'll glow!

(*LOL* I used to LOVE that song - don't you listen to these other bloggers. Ice Ice baby is a fab song!)

Great effort on sunday! Go Team CR!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Aki said...

awww, I'm so jealous about missing a 10 mile race :(

Good on you Tesso :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

A very good run considering it was at 'cruising pace' Tesso.

Well done on the medal!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home