Thursday, February 09, 2006

On The Road Again

Last Week Total: 137k <== a new record :-)

Today: 10k
This Week Total: 10k
Month Total: 137k
Year Total: 513k


First up a little on comments and questions raised ....

From Cirque - When do we get to hear the rest of the story about this 'boring' race?
So much has been said in the CR message, though I still haven't really added my comments. What can I say? I ran in circles for 12 hours :-) I had my music to keep me entertained. I'd put a lot of effort into it, so much so that I had stuff left unplayed towards the end and I was almost wishing I had more time so I could get through it all ... almost ;-) At least I got through all the requests! That aside there's no way in the world I could have done it if I didn't have people like the lovely Cirque smiling and waving and cheering as I ran by each time.

Ally asked whats happening with the Shuffle?
I charged if for several hours, the little green light was on. But I guess being brand new I should've left it charging for 12 hours or more.

R2B said your pacing was so even 17-18 laps/hour, how did you keep track off it and did you speed up or slow at any time because of it?
I used the counter on my Nike watch to count laps and every now and then checked with Fran my lapscorer just to make sure we matched. Horrie had told me to never let my breathing get laboured, once or twice I realised it did so slowed down immediately. The only time I forced myself to run faster was at around 4.30am when I realised I could actually crack the 100k in under 11hrs. The rest of the time the pacing just seemed to come naturally.

Several wondered how I kept going on so little food.
I can only put it down to the Usana Nutrimeal I was drinking in those first few hours. It really is very filling and full of all sorts of good stuff. Its 12% protein and low GI. My massage guy who does super-duper endurance events (eg multi day adventure racing where they are on the go for maybe 20 hours a day) gets if for me. He swears by the stuff.

And Miners, I promise to test drive the donuts for you before your IM ;-)


****


As a reward for the group's constant hard work at Pat's this morning it was just a 50 minute comfortable run followed by the monthly 'no watch' 1k. Perfect timing for my return!

The legs felt pretty good for their first run since Saturday. Clairie and I stuck together for the 50 minute run. Seeing though I've been out of action all week we had lots to catch up on :-)

We regathered at the top of the Gardens for the 1k. I'd forgotten to write down my guess though would've put something like 5m30s. As we took off poor Keith had an terrible run in with a pole, that was unfortunately just the right, well wrong, height to do some damage. Clairie and I stopped to make sure he alright. He wasn't really but he convinced us he'd be okay, he just needed to walk, and urged us to continue on.

The pace we were doing seemed like close to 5m30s, but when we hit the end Pat called out 5:08. Considering we'd stopped to check on Keith it was probably a sub 5 minute km. It didn't feel like it, so that's a good sign.

We wound up at the pool at South Bank, rather than The Ship Inn, where brekky was waiting for us with some extra special treats. Mmmmm, mango :-)

So everything seems to be in working order. Still, I'll be taking it easy for another couple of weeks because, as Pat has warned me in the past, one must be careful when they feel too good after a big event.

13 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Wow Tesso - thanks for putting Willy in my head!!!

Fantastic recovery mate - I am in awe.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy that you're taking things easy for a while, Tess; I can't tell you how many times I've read your journey round & round the track! Absolutely fascinating reading!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Can't believe you're running again so soon.

Great music report below, was there some sort of run going on as well?

8:28 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

What can I say? I ran in circles for 12 hours :-)

You are the now the master of understatement.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Sounds like a very smart idea to be cautious. Good to see you back running so quickly with no problems.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Wow! How amazing are you! I have just read the last few posts and am absolutely awestruck. Looking forward to reading about many more superhuman feats!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Woo hoo... the legs still work!! Thats the important thing! Now recover well and *gulp* 8 weeks to go!!! God I am soooo excited Tess! I can not wait. The post CR get together will be heaps of fun :-)

11:59 AM  
Blogger D said...

Wow - you are awesome Tesso.

12:12 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good to see you fitted in your long run last week - any plans of doing 10% more this week!!!

Seriously you did well - you should be feeling very chuffed. And you sound like you've pulled up really well - I'm impressed.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

So glad to hear everything is still in working order Tess. You just need to keep an eye on your energy levels as I found mine fluctuating a bit in the 2 weeks after.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

500+kms and its only 10Feb - you really are a machine !

8:16 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's the hard way of doing 137k!

Take it easy - Pat's right (of course).

6:29 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Where do you get Usana, and how much does it cost? What flavours are there?

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home