Monday, February 20, 2006

Q and A

Wob asked if I was training for 6ft or Canberra. Being an anti-trailie its Canberra and not 6ft!

Re my long Saturday run Steve said "Good run but I'm curious why your intent was 'no fuel' before-hand and no gel (or something) at the 2hr mark. Please tell me you ate heaps the night before."
Its one of the types of long runs on the McMillan pgm - "We want to deny the body carbohydrates in these runs so that the muscles will become better at sparing the carbohydrate stores, more efficient at burning fat and used to running with lowered blood glucose levels."
I ate normally the night before which is heaps :-)
I tried some similar runs before the GC Marathon last year (where I ran a PB) and managed to avoid 'the wall' until around 37k, I usually encounter it sooner.
He also asked if I had a yearly km goal. I hadn't really thought about it, though 3650km sounds cool as it means an average of 10k a day.

And for Go Girl, I don't think my old model Garmin talks to Google Earth, if it does I have no idea how to do it. I've just downloaded some images and used MS Paint to map out roughly where we've run. I use an abacus to add up my weekly kms ;-)

In answer to lots of questions about Mt Coot-tha. Its a 9.6km circuit and from what I can work out from Google Earth its 270m at its highest point. When we just run a loop we start from JC Slaughter Falls carpark which is around 80m. I think the 'big climb' to that highest point is about 2.3kms of continual uphill :-) I've raced it once (annual King/Queen of the Mountain) in 45m28s, have done hard training runs in 47 to 50 mins, though mostly do 51 to 55 mins depending how I'm feeling or who I'm running with.


How lucky are we to have this just 5k or so from the city!


Yellow spot is the car park. We run anti-clockwise. Blue spot is the highest point.

*****

Sunday: 14k
Week Total: 94k
Month Total: 271k
Year Total: 647k

I think I've started to obsess way to much about pace and time and so have made the decision to try to do at least one run a week without a watch and just run as far and as fast, or slow, as I feel like. And enjoy it! Yesterday was one of those days.

I set out around 6:30am (I didn't want to see the exact time!) and headed up to Sir Fred Schonell Dve then turned and along the bikepath to the end of The Gardens and back to the Uni bustop and then home. Being a non BRRC race day there were a few familiar faces out and about. In the Gardens I was almost windburnt by Jonesy and other fasties from Pat's zipping by in the opposite direction. Also was almost mowed down by Eddie who was definitely doing over the speed limit with less than 2k to go in his 34k run.

All up 14k. Dunno how long it took, don't care :-)

8 Comments:

Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

You mean you don't run from the Botanic Gardens? Cheater, that's an extra whole lot of climbing! ;-) I found some new trails this morning that I didn't now existed. They look particularly brutal... good for Six Foot Track, if you change your mind ;-)

I think the decision to occasionally run without a watch is a good one.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Google Earth of my area is just a big blur.
Waiting impatiently for it to be updated with some high-res pics.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I've bookmarked that McMillan link, very interesting. Hmmmm 10 km per day, I think you're on target.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Good on you Tess! I have been doing my monday recoveries sort of like that.... I have my garmin on but promise not to look while running and just do what the body wants. Still too anal to not know completely :-) 10kms a day sounds doable but over 3000km sounds scary!!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Tesso those are great downloads from Google Earth. You have really whet my appetite for a Mt Coot-tha run.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I suspect a cunning plan to lure others into the 7 Coot-tha's in 7 days.

I did my Coot-tha run last night and really enjoyed it.

I didn't know you didn't like trails .... here is hope for you yet.

7:24 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Geez - and when I thought you guys were talking about Mr Coot-tha you were actually talking about a decent hill ;-)

And what is this about not being a trailee - you know you are Tess - 6' beckons! Of course you would have time to knit a cardigan after you finish before I get there :-)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

I totally agree on the 'lets forget our watch' day. Sounds like a brilliant idea.

I even didnt turn my on this morning so I was not able to look at it. Though seeing how crowded it was in the gardens I would have broken an arm if I had gone to look at it anyhow!!!

I honestly am very impressed with how quickly and almost overnight you have recovered from your big run of 100km. That is amazing and shows your true strength is endurance.

Now if I could only catch you so some of that could rub off on me....

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home