Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Magic Mountain

Wednesday: 15k
Week Total: 32k
Month Total: 303k
Year Total: 679k


Clairie missed out on the Regatta-Mt Coot-tha loop last Wednesday as she was away on her secret training camp. So to make up for it we organised to do it again this week. Tara had the day off work and so wasn't promising to be there at 5.30am, for some strange reason she thought sleeping sounded like a better idea. A few other runners were there, but they were all doing a flat run, so just the two of us set off up Sylvan Rd toward the mountain.

The traffic seemed to be bad, even at that hour, and getting across the big roundabout wasn't easy. Made me wonder what it was gonna be like an hour later. Just after that is a long slow rise heading up to JC Slaughter Falls carpark. I still can't work out why its always such a struggle, its nowhere near as steep or as long as what's to come.

Towards the end of the big climb there was a young fit looking chap not too far in front and we were reeling him in. Tee hee, this could be fun! As we got within a meter or two we picked the pace up a bit, ran right past him as if we were doing it easy, and even gave him a friendly greeting :-) Got to the top just past the gates of the ABC and there was a small group of cyclists gathered, though that didn't stop us from letting out the obligatory 'woohoo'.

Then it was onwards over the few kms of undulations and down the big hill (wheeeeeee) and back to the world's busiest roundabout for a little bit of sprint work. I think that must've got our legs moving as we seemed to be moving pretty fast on the run back down Sylvan Rd to the Regatta.

What a wonderful way to start a Wednesday :-)

15 Comments:

Blogger Bernie G said...

It always good to have someone to chase, shame if was fit looking bloke ;-).

11:30 AM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Tesso, if you're climbing to the carpark from Mt Coot-tha Rd (past the gardens entrance) then you'll find that's actually the steepest part of the Mt Coot-tha climb. (The bike gearing doesn't lie.)

12:13 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Tesso - gotta love the big hills ;-)

12:27 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Hey Tesso, glad you liked the different entry. Can't think what the next word will be, but when I think of it I'll put it up for your edumacation. Until then it'll have to be running related.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

OM Gosh I forgot the woohoo at the top!!! I think I was so happy to get there I just needed to breathe again!!

It was heaps of fun and I look forward to making it a permanent addition to my training calendar.

I remember thinking as we were coming down...I can't believe I wanted to do two laps...but now hours later I am keen :) Might take me a few weeks to get there though.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Go girls!!! I bet that stung him as you both cruised by hehehe

Slaughter Falls???? That sound scary!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Having fun on the big climb! you must be on magic mushrooms.

Can't believe you'd go for Canberra before six foot. Definitely on the mushrooms.

8:37 PM  
Blogger runlady said...

you tease!

9:41 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Way to go Tesso!
Mostly for enjoying yourself and life.
Thanks also for your condolence...
R2B

12:17 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I say - I can think of better ways to start a day but hey, good run!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I will have to check out this JC Slaughter Falls car park one day. It sounds like such a mysterious and sinister place.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You cheeky things! Flying past that fit looking chap! Did you turn around to see the look on his face or just keep running further & further away?! Wonderful!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

There is no stopping you two ..... well done again.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You're wrong Tesso. The world's busiest roundabout is the Kings Ave/Parkes Way one in Canberra ;)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Sounds like it was a good run Tesso.

Re my warm up & cool downs on the track, lane 8 is just staying out of the way and doing them in reverse was something I started doing during winter when I was doing longer reps (6-8x1000), doing in reverse just seemed to help unwind and give the track a different look.

Like typical sheep, nearly all of the distance runners at my club are doing this now! :-)

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home