Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Tale Of Two Tenners

Friday: 10k
Saturday: 10k
Week Total: 62k
Month Total: 333k
Year Total: 709k

FRIDAY
Thursday was one of those days when my stomach felt like a bottomless pit, I had a bad case of the munchies. To make it worse we had a pizza night at work to celebrate a birthday, and I couldn't convince anyone that thin and crispy cheeseless pizzas do taste okay. So Friday morning the last thing I felt like doing was any sort of run, by the afternoon was able to force myself out the door.

The first km was a struggle, I almost pulled up stumps there and then, but told myself to do at least 5k. I've been downloading a bit of new music lately, and a few blasts from the past, but hadn't listened to most of it so loaded it on the iPod. After 2 1/2k I was about to turn for home when Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way" came on ... gees, we thought we were sooooo cool listening to that back in the 70s :-) Anyway, that put me in a good mood and I kept on running up to the 5k mark and turned for home then.

All up a slow 10k. How slow? Dunno, didn't time it properly, but it was probably around 57 minutes.




******

SATURDAY
It was the usual 6am start at The Regatta this morning and, still feeling like a slug, I wondered just how far I'd run. With the long one planned for Sunday this weekend it was going to be short. In fact at one stage I thought I might just go join the others for brekky. Most were going around 17k, some a little more, some less. Clairie is doing her long run with me tomorrow so we figured we'd stick together and just do an easy 10k.

We were at the back of the main pack and going about 5:15 pace, but got a little faster. At the 5k turnaround it was around 25:50. I was trying not to worry too much about the time, but Clairie was measuring each km - of course I couldn't resist asking her how we were doing! We were coming home stronger, and with about 500 meters to go I realised I could crack 50 mins so put the foot down and finished in 49:55.

Thinking about it I felt almost exactly the same at the start of each run, yet I was able to go that much faster today. And really, it didn't seem a great deal harder. Gotta stop being so lazy when I run on my own ;-)

15 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

If it helps you are not alone ... I cut my long run back this morning to 21K ... mainly due to heat and often wonder why I don't feel great every run.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Hey Tesso, good on you for sticking it out by yourself. Here is some stats I just noticed that may make you feel better. It sure made me smile, how lazy am I? :)

Your Lazy/unmotivated week - my lazy week = 62k - 24.5k

Your current yearly total is over 500k more than mine, at that rate you will have run 3000 more K's than me by the end of year.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Gotta stop being so lazy when I run on my own ;-)

Borrowing and modifying a line from Monty Python,

"And you tell sedentary people that and they wouldn't believe you"

2:56 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Great to see you on Thursday and don't worry I'll be back :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

You are too hard on yourself Tesso. Remember what I said about energy levels. You are going to feel sluggish on some runs for a while. Just ride those runs out and enjoy the good ones!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Hey, we WERE cool back in the seventies, Tesso. I had the flares to prove it.

I don't think lazy is one of the words I would use to describe you.

4:50 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I opted for a sleep-in today rather than doig my programmed 6km run. Tomorrow i have a 20km run then its the end of my easy week - I'm making the most of it!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Never worked out why those pita bread pizzas with cottage cheese don't set the dinner party on fire.

After a cheesy pizza you can right off the next session as monthly kms clocking off the mozzarella.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking Tess...that you were a very lazy person!!! NOT!!

Thanks for keeping me company this morning. I am sure we are pure entertainment for everyone out there "you go on ahead...no YOU go on ahead etc etc" when really we both needed each other to get us home.

Good to see you had the burst at the end. Very excellent form.

You forgot to tell everyone about kicking your leg at the 4km mark and then trying to convince me it was a skinny stick on footpath... :)

10:17 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Lazy from your own perspective,you shouldn't feel.Because from ours you a real soldier battling it out and allways ticking over.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sorry Tesso but thin, crispy and cheeseless pizzas kind of defeat the purpose :-)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hahahahaha!! Lazy, slug... these are not words one associates with Tess! Good one!! Nice to see you have a couple of easier runs before you big one... I bet you felt better for it today!

Thanks for your kind comments... appreciated :-)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

"Rocky Mountain High". You can't argue with a sick mind.

But Seriuosly Folks, that was a great song.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Nothing wrong with those two tenners - a slow one and a faster one. Both are good.

I hope the long run went well Tesso. Surely it can't be hotter than Canberra up there.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Yeah! You lazy cow! Only 94 km for the week, phht!

After reading the post in bloglines I popped over to say that I diagreed with your analysis...i.e. that you need that variety of pace and so the self-directed lazy jibe certainly unwarrented. Was funny to see the tide of like sentiment in your comment box!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home