Thursday, March 09, 2006

An Easy Run & A Not As Easy Easy Run

Tuesday: 8k
Wednesday: 16k
Thursday: 11k
Week Total: 51.5k
Month Total: 101.5k
Year Total: 857.5k


There was a crowd of about 10 or so at The Regatta for the 5:30am start on Wednesday, though most were doing a shorter fartlek session. Clairie, Robbie and I planned a cruisey 16k.

Running along under the freeway the Garmin cut out as it always does, but for the first time I noticed when it did find the signal again it had cut out 500 meters from our run. We got to the palm tree in The Gardens that is the 5k point and the trusty Garmin said we'd only done 4.5kms. We continued on to almost the very end of the floating walkway at New Farm, the Garmin reading 7.5km when we turned around. On the trip back along the exact same course it measured 8km.

We were going at a cruisey pace, though it was fast enough for me. All up 16k in 1h25m, so we averaged about 5:18s.

It was pretty humid out there, and when we stopped we were drenched and looked as if we'd been running in the rain, but it was just sweat - gross!


*****


Pat's this morning was an 'easy' session plus the usual 'guess your time no watch 1k'. He said to just run out for 25 to 27 minutes before turning for home and regrouping in The Gardens for the 1k.

I started out not really pushing it and got chatting to first timer Jackie for a bit. Then I realised I had some targets ahead, so upped the pace to reel them in before the 27 minutes was up. Running over the floating walkway I could hear a fair bit of cooee-ing coming from behind. I guessed it was Clairie. So now I had a second goal, to stay in front of her!

I passed everyone I was chasing except Tara, I'd got to within about 10 meters of her and it was time to head for home. On the way back I got talking to Gerard and so the pace picked up somewhat. A km or so later Pat joined in and the two of them sped up, I just tried to maintain the pace I'd been running.

I'd nominated 4:30 for my 1k, as had Tara, so we ran together for it. Clairie was after 4:27 but was out of sight within seconds, I thought we must've been way to slow. But Pat called out 4:20 as we crossed the line - close but not close enough. Afterwards there was some conjecture as to whether or not its an accurate 1k. I'm guessing its a little short, I was averaging just under 4:20s in my 5k at the track Monday night and today's 1k felt more comfortable than that. In fact we agreed that the 4k or whatever back from New Farm seemed faster. Might have to get out there and measure it with the not so trusty Garmin.

13 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

More good running... great to see Tess! How are you feeling with all your training. Are you feeling on track for Canberra?

11:56 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nothing for it Tess - you will have to upgrade to the 305 for greater accuracy :-)

2:31 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Can't believe all the energy I was expending trying to holler out to you across the water and then the bridge and here all this time you could hear me but just wanted to keep in front!!!

Next Time I will up on a deep sexy male voice and see if you turn around hee hee

That 1km felt hard thats for sure but certainly MUST be short. Then again running beforehand always stuffs up my ability to guess my pace.

Hope the leg holds up from the massage this arvo kiddo :) Best of luck......

2:43 PM  
Blogger miners said...

don't you go dissing the garmin (he says after waiting 2 months for his warranty job to return from the states ...)

2:51 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Some times Garth makes mistakes!
With reverence to Lulu's boy i have also named mine Garth but it happens so infrequently who's worried?
As for no watch runs it is so hard to judge your own pace without help but it is a very useful skill to practice it gets you in touch with your body not meaning to sound like a boofhead.

Cheers R2B

3:59 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Garmins can get disorientated and it can be a little frustrating for me and I imagine for you as well.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Thanks Tess for the wishes.

Well done on the track debut. You've got some good workouts happening back to back. I wouldn't want to line up against you at the moment.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

I agree, sometimes the Garmin tells a few lies. I nearly got disqualied the other night, until someone yelled out one more lap.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Yes it has been humid this week. That run on Wednesday was quite hard because of it, so I don't know if I am handling it real well.

This morninng was a bit better but then I didn't go so far. I think it is also more humid by the river.

7:57 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good luck for Sunday Tess. I'm really not sure how I'll run the half on Sunday - not usually this vague about a race!

There seems to be afew having problems with their Garmin. So far *touch wood* mine has been behaving itself.

2:08 PM  
Blogger D said...

My Garmin only lies when it tells me that I am going to slow. Kidding kidding...

12:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There'll be no holding you in Canberra, Tess! You all train so consistently up there in Brissie; well deserved results coming your waay...& mine too hopefully! see you in 4 weeks!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I had my first group training session this morning. It was a lot of fun and I will blog on it later.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home