Monday, March 06, 2006

The President and The First Lady

Monday: 16.5k
Week Total: 16.5k
Month Total: 66.5k
Year Total: 823.5k


Mr President, Dave, (hmmmm, reminds me of a Kevin Kline movie) was in town this morning and keen for a run. Of course such a VIP he needs a couple of bodyguards so Clairie and I put our hands up. We met up just before 6am outside Fitness First in the city. Dave was incognito, no Sydney Striders singlet - whew, our job was going to be easier.

We zipped down to the bikeway and ran towards The Gardens and beyond. The plan was for a nice easy run though after my big run yesterday nothing was going to be easy. There was one close call, an anti-Strider protester disguised as a cyclist came hurtling up behind us, but the ever faithful Clairie threw herself in front of him to protect Dave.

As the floating walkway wasn't open last time he was here we had to take Dave out along it, and up to the first tap where Clairie and I tested the water and deemed it safe for our distinguished guest to drink.

Heading back to base I could feel the pace increasing and with about 1 1/2 kms to go told them that if they wanted to sprint home it was fine by my, though I wasn't going to join them :-) I trusted Clairie to keep Mr President safe, and she did so. He arrived back at base camp safe and sound - mission accomplished.

All up just over 10k (in about 53:20 for me).

*****

I joined Queensland Masters Athletics a couple of weeks ago and hit the track tonight for a 5000m - my first ever track race! I ran 21:12 at the January CR Challenge but coming off my 40k yesterday and the 10k or so this morning with Dave and Clairie I was guessing I'd do around 22:30 to 23:00.

I was nervous going there but when I realised I could only see one other person I knew, and he was really fast, I didn't feel so bad. Then my cheersquad arrived - Clairie and Al. Chatted to them for a while and Clairie said something about a warm-up. Whoops, good idea! Ran a couple of laps.

Not being championship night I figured it would be low key and so much less pressure. Well, it was low key alright. It came time to line up at the start and it was just me and six guys, and they all looked fast - gulp!

The gun went and within 100 meters it was obvious that three of us were a tad slower than the rest of the field. I passed one guy and then pushed to get past the second one. From then on I was determined to keep him at bay. Thanks to Ray, via Kit, for the advice about upping the pace for just six steps and keeping the momentum going. It seemed to work! I wasn't taking any notice of my splits, I was more worried about running the correct number of laps, though I know the first km was 4:10. Needless to say they got slower after that. I think Clairie said my last one was a 4:15.

I ended up using the Adrian (CR Run67) method of lap counting - count how many times the first guy passes you and once he's finished that's how many more laps you have to do. Well the leader, Shane George, lapped me three times.

Crossed the line in 21:31, a good minute faster than I thought I'd run and less than 30 seconds slower than my PB. And I was the first lady too ;-)

Ran a couple of laps to warm down with Tony, a lovely Irish fellow who came in just behind me. He was the one who I was worried was going to come back at me after I passed him.

Thanks so much to Clairie and Al for coming out to watch and timing my splits and counting my laps etc etc. Bring your running gear next time!

13 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Wow. Running on a track sounds like fun. It was great time too considering the big load lately. :)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Well I'd say the flu is well and truly gone and you are back on track .... so to speak. Looking forward to our next long run together.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thnaks for keeping our fearless leader safe :-)

What a great effort Tess!!! That is a fantastic time after a few really big runs.... imagine what fresh legs would do. I quite like running on the track, but I think anyhing more than 5000m would get too hard to keep track of in your head! Go Team J... from ultras to blitzing track running!!
Rays idea of the 6 step thing really helps... I was doing that in my 10kms. When I felt like I was slowing, just concentrat on the 6 steps and then try to hold it.

Good on you!!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for joining me Tesso!

Funny thing, I did not even hear the helicopter shadowing us :)

What a great 5km run after a really heavy schedule, with a taper you will be flying at Canberra!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Good job on looking after the Prez. The big question is "Would you take a bullet for him?"

10:13 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Now you can add unbeaten in women's 5000m to your growing list of accomplishments ; ).

PS. Do you ever rest?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Congrats on the big win - that is unreal! I continue to be amazed (and inspired!)!

12:02 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

I am sooooo jealous - not only is he the president but he gets to run with you guys when he is up there! I just got to see the inside of the airport and a cab :-(

Great result on the 5k Tesso you were really hooting for someone who ran 40k the previous day ;-)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess as usual I am inspired by your capabilities.

Anyone that asks me how I am improving so much and what sort of training am I doing....I just tell them "I watch Tess" it is enough to exhaust me!!!

Funny but I pictured Dave in his Striders singlet..so I must have not even noticed he wasn't wearing it ha ha ha

As for last night, that was a gutsy effort to pull that out of the hat. And I am not even talking about your time - but your commitment to turn up and still run despite the lack of crowd, despite the fact that you were the only female, despite the fact that they all LOOKED so much faster than you. You still got out there and ran it. We were cheering so hard for you (very quietly as you requested) when you went past the first man, then the second and then were catching the third..

I love how Al thought you were being real considerate of us and were running faster so we could get home for dinner. He even thanked you for cutting the planned 25mins down to 21.31 :)

.....and then you wake up and decide to pace someone to a good Time Trial. Can i ask again - what drugs are you taking?

1:50 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Good to see you're still being sociable with us southerners - I'll be up in about 7-8 weeks!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

How good are you First Lady? You line up for a 5000m track race a couple of days after a 40k run and win in such a good time. I think you have talent for this track racing caper.

Good bodyguard job Clairie ;-)

8:26 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:30 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Woohoo well done,especially after all your miles this week!

I have a track race this thursday i think i'll give the six step thing a go.

Ps i am not the quick one... you are! I have an ok 1500m.Though your 5k time at the track equals my pb(21:30) so your pb smashes mine by 30 seconds!

Thanks for the encouragement though and i am training hard atm to catch up (speed wise only 'cause your mileage is HUUUUGE!)
Your an inspiration!

Cheers R2B

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home