Sunday, March 05, 2006

Battling The Elements

Sunday: 40k
Week Total: 60k
Month Total: 51k
Year Total: 807k


After missing my long run with the gang yesterday I was out there on my lonesome this morn. That's two weeks in a row I've made a liar out of myself on Steve's long run poll :-)

Had everything prepared the night before but still managed to take 40 mins to get out the door. It was pretty overcast so figured there was no need for the Camelbak, and just carried a couple of very weak Endura mixes in my fuelbelt. I spotted some of the Jonesy gang including Robbie across the road at The Regatta so slipped over for a quick hello.

Last night I cleaned out my t-shirt collection and packed away about a dozen or more. So what do I do first up, run into South Bank to collect my free t-shirt for the IWD Fun Run :-) I grabbed it then found bag lady Clairie and gave it to her and continued on my merry way. Ran into The Gardens where the McRadar clan were setting up a the drink station. But there were no costumes yet, so ran a few kms out and back and by then they kilted up and looked a hoot. Of course they couldn't resist showing me what they wore under them ;-)

At about 12k my legs were so heavy I contemplated calling it a day and running back home, but thought I'd forge on. I had some $$ in my fuelbelt and could always jump on a Citycat.

Not sure when the rain started, think it was just after that. Headed out towards New Farm and beyond after that, passing big Dan and Liz on the way just before the floating walkway. By now the rain was blowing sideways! Going along the river towards New Farm Park was particularly unpleasant, and near the bowls club I realised my trusty Garmin just turned itself off. I waited until I was well into the park before switching it on again and luckily it just picked up where it left off.

After this I tried to avoid the direct riverfront, it was just way too windy. Trouble was, sticking to the road meant running through huge puddles and getting spashed by every passing vehicle :-( Oh well, it was pouring rain, I was already drenched and my shoes full of water.

Got back to NF Park and thought about the ferry, but figured I'd at least run on to the next stop, then the next stop. I hit the floating walkway and for the first time I can remember didn't see another person all the way along it. Wonder why ;-) I ran up the hill past All Hallows (that was for you Ally!) and over the Story Bridge and it was halfway across it that I realised I wasn't the only idiot out there, a couple of guys were running the other direction.

Ran back to South Bank to see if Clairie was still around. Saw Lizzle and Glenno on the way, there'd been a birthday celebration for Chris that I'd missed. Of course they had to tell me how good the cake was. Got to race headquarters but Clairie had just left. Stopped and chatted to Radar and Runner-Bee before hitting the home stretch. Checked the Garmin thought I'd get 38k or so for the day. What the hell, I felt okay, might add a little on and make it 40k. In fact it was a few hundred meters over 40k as the Garmin had cut out, but I won't bother counting that.

So very happy with how it all panned out, especially considering I was ready to pull the pin at 12k. The legs did feel better as time wore on, though its probably because I had better things to think about like trying to stay upright in the wind and rain. Best of all I did it on no brekky, and no fuel at all along the way, sticking to my plan of alternating a fast, fuelled long run and a slow no-fuel run week about.

Time was just under 3h35m, average 5:22 per km :-) Feeling a bit more confident about April 9 now.

Oh, and according to tonight's news the weather today was similar to a category 2 cyclone!

15 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Wow, you are amazing Tesso. Not many people would be out there in catagory 2 winds. You are only tiny - it's lucky you didn't blown away :-)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

So your training runs are 40kms? You are machine Tesso! I bet I would have found a reason to be on that Citycat.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I am glad I was going for the 100+ this morning, otherwise after battling into that wind and rain for 70 minutes I would have pulled the pin.

It must have been bad down by the river as there is usually a fair breeze even on a calm day.

40 K !!! Decent run for a recently crrok chook.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

That's a strong run, physically and mentally. Well done.

You're becoming an ultra-machine. Canberra will be a bit too short for you now. Use it as a warm-down.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Yesterday I caught the Colin, blew past him in the final 100m. Colin is running well too.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I just read Tesso 'uncut' on Pats website - Nice one.

Wow, for a person who stated they are not very motivated a 40k solo run in cyclonic conditions on a Sunday morning is pretty impressive. I wish I was as unmotivated as you :) Well done Awesome effort.

Just a quick question does PCRG still start at 5.40 and what time will it roughly finish on Tuesday. I need some details to convince the boss. Cheers

8:58 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

On top of a cold that is an awesome performance Tesso - I'm in Brissy tomorrow (in and out on the same day) will keep my eye out for the the Regatta Flash ;-)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

40 k's today, 60 for the week and 807 for the year, will anything stop you?

You were suppose to be crook this week.

9:33 PM  
Blogger D said...

Wow - and I thought I was something running 11 miles in the pouring rain! Nice pace! I'm amazed that you had such a nice run when your legs were feeling heavy so early on!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Yikes ! 40km in a washing machine. I saw the weather on the box this morning - your MAD. :)

6:29 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Wow, 40km in that weather, you are a legend! I'm with Jen; I'm surprised you didn't get blown away!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

in my best Ron Weasly accent, all I can say is, "Buh-luddy-hell!"

Not just the distance and the weather, but a very good pace as well.

Omedetou!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Great Run Tesso. Category 2 hey!. I wondered why I felt like I was running into a brick wall. That rain was realy stinging as well. I went past a couple who were out waling and said "you guys are mad" . They had a good laugh.

1:29 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Crazy crazy woman - that's all I can say! Reminds me of a time when I cycled in weather like that when I was IM training - not fun! I was also attacked on the face by a very aggressive magpie. But I kep slogging on!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

40k's in a cyclone I'm impressed. Looking good for the sub 3:30 at Canberra.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home