Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pacing and PBs

After racing on the track last night I thought it best to take it a little easy at Pat's this morning. It was the monthly 3k TT. Considering what I'd done the previous couple of days there's no way I was going to do a great time and I didn't want to risk hurting myself trying to. During the warm-up I chatted a bit to Sarah, she was aiming for a sub 13:30 today. That got me thinking, maybe I should run with her. I talked to Tori, who is around my speed, and she said she had a bike TT tomorrow so wanted to take it easy as well.

Pat put the call out yesterday for anyone coming back from injury etc who may want to pace this morning. So we thought it would be fun to run a sub 13:30 pack. Though thinking about it, its more about providing encouragement than setting a pace and we hoped to be able to do that.

Not long after we took off Matty moved up and acted like a shepherd at the back of the pack, doing a mighty fine job of keeping everyone up with us. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody more motivating than our Matty, he was cheering on every man and his dog!

We were a little ahead of schedule as we hit the first turnaround, but those around seemed to be running comfortably. The second km is always the slowest due to a slight uphill so by the 2k mark we'd lost some of the time we'd gained. With around 500m to go I realised some of the group were a little behind, so I suggested Tori take Sarah and co and I waited and egged on the others. I wondered why Donna, who had been sticking comfortably with us, had dropped back and was a little concerned about her. She had stopped to tie up a shoelace at 2k but wasn't going to let that stop her today and in 500m made up for several lost seconds.

During the run I'd told them about the Ray thing (thanks again Kit!) - pick up the pace for six steps and the momentum keeps you going. Well they all agreed it worked an absolute treat! I think all of our little pack ran PBs including Sarah who did 13:08, a whopping 38 seconds faster than last month (sub 13 next time for sure) and Donna with 13:22, 30 seconds faster than last month. Exciting stuff!

But wait, there's more ...

Soon after we ran in a slightly excited Clairie came over to tell me she'd done 11:49!!!! Woohoo! I knew she had it in her, and I know she's got an even faster time in her. But for now we're celebrating that great achievement.

Still more ...

Ally ran 12:43 - a 24 second PB! Amazing stuff from somebody who is only just back from injury.

And finally ...

Shane on his first outing with the PCRG did a blistering 10:38 (a PB). I wondered what he was doing out the front with all the fast guys :-)

Well done fellow bloggers and PGRG runners. What a terrific morning!

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I'm surprised you get out of bed for 3 k's Tesso...lol Seems like you're in a terrific group.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good on you Tesso; I have no doubt that all of them really appreciated your effort

6:06 AM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Sounds as though everyone was happy today. Btw congrats on your track debut - nice work.

TA

7:36 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sounds like this group running things is a lot of fun. When is Pat heading to Melbourne?

11:15 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Tesso - great work to be sensible and to just back up and help out some others after your last few days.

Wish I could be sensible ;-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I agree Tesso, matty is a great motivator but and so are you. You just do it quietly.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love that about you Tess! You are always so genuinely excited for others when they do well! It is sooo nice to have the support of another runner to help you get that PB!! Good Work!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

It all sounds very exciting.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

Whoa, brilliant!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I thought the first lady would be sleeping in after racing on the track the previous night.

Sounds like you had fun. So many PBs! I'm glad Clairie was only slightly excited.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home