Sunday, March 12, 2006

Masters 3000m and 1500m

Saturday: 10k
Week Total: 61.5k
Month Total: 111.5k
Year Total: 867.5k


Headed out to QEII for the masters again Saturday. Ran a few warmup laps before lining up for the 3000m at 8am. Unlike Monday night there were quite a few entrants, though just before the gun went they got the walkers to move to the right. I think there were more of them than runners. I was hoping to get around in about 12 minutes, my main aim was to better my January 3k TT time from Pat's - 12:15. Went through 1k in 3:54, a little fast I think. The next km was 4:07, and the final one a very sad 4:15. Total - 12:16. Very disappointing. More disappointing was the fact that I was really busting a gut and couldn't have gone a second faster. And I felt like absoute crap the whole way.

Had a good long chat to my ever faithful cheergirl, Clairie, before running a couple of laps around the outside of the main stadium. Also spoke to Barry M, he was there for the 1500m scheduled for 9.30am and it took a while but he convinced me to enter. I ran a couple more laps around the stadium and felt slow, and tired. Waiting for the start (it was about 15mins late) I almost went and crossed my name off the list. But I told myself it was going to be way tougher than this at the end of the marathon, so just do it. The goal was to do just under 4:20 pace, and scrape in a sub 6:30.

It was just me and a handful of guys for this one, at least there was one other lady racing in the 3000m. This time I just ran as comfortably fast as I could, and to my surprise was sitting around 4 minute pace. Crossed the line in 6 mintues flat, a bit better than I was aiming for.

So left there feeling a little happier. Still, lots of work to be done in the speed department.

3 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Don't worry Tesso the speed will come when you hit the Taper in a couple of weeks. And you were not that far off the PB a few secs. Cheers.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Well done Tesso! A near PB and a great 1500m time - not a bad day in the office by any stretch!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Yeah I reckon you did good too. Sounds like you only missed out on that PB cos you went out too hard. A time like that at this stage of your preparation is just great ! Well done.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home