Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Down But Not Out

Rewinding a little ..... after lots of niggles for a couple of weeks I was really looking forward to a massage to try to sort things out and see if there was anything nasty looming. But then I got a cold and had work committments and had to postpone it for a week.

Last Thursday morning at Pat's in between the 50min steady run and the 1k no watch, one of those niggles, the one on the outside of the right knee, turned into a definite pain.

My rescheduled massage was that afternoon, and Mark got stuck into my ITB and it certainly felt way better afterwards. He suggested I rest Friday (I did) before racing at the track Saturday morning and running Sunday morning's half marathon.

I was happy with how I pulled up Saturday. Sunday morning it was tight but not sore.

But by the 11.1k mark in the half marathon, passing the start/finish, it was hurting and I considered pulling up stumps. After the next 5k loop it was worse, and in the final loop was really bad. If it wasn't a championship event I wouldn't have kept going .... well, maybe not. Sunday night I was flat out walking, I could hardly bend my leg.

Luckily I was able to get in to see physio Adam on Monday evening and he confirmed what I suspected - ITB Friction Syndrome :-( He seemed to think that all that Mt Coot-tha running a few weeks ago was a major contributing factor. Anyway, I had an hour of mostly painful treatment, and am going back for more torture tomorrow.

So its no running until Saturday at least, and then it will just be a light jog. Meanwhile lots of stretching, icing etc. Adam wants me to do some pool work, swimming or kickboarding, and maybe a littly easy water running if it does not hurt my knee.

He thinks I'll be training normally again in two weeks and is confident I'll be okay for Canberra. So am I.

21 Comments:

Blogger Spud said...

The hills do it every time Tess. I too had a few niggles before xmas with a sudden ramp up in hillwork. You'll be fine after a few days rest and stretching.
Probably not a bad thing for you to rest up, given the amount of running you've been doing lately ;-)
Happy healing vibes your way...

1:19 PM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Look after yourself. It is probably a good time to freshen up a little before the big assualt.

2:34 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Get well soon Tesso!
Nobody deserves to be soreand hurt especially such a nice person as yourself.

RICE BRICE and whatever else it needs and take it easy!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Bad news about the injury Tesso but good news about you resting up before your assault on Canberra. You will not lose too much fitness and it will freshen you up both physically and mentally.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Noooo, not the dreaded ITB. These things are the curse of runners. I hope it is quickly better Tesso. Sending positive vibes up the coast as I type.

5:35 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Matey - don't I know it? If hills are the culprit make sure you get the adductors on the inside of the thigh checked out....

Probably wouldn't hurt to see a chiro as well - with the miles you have been used to it is hard to believe it is overuse (ie that would have shown up about a gazilliion miles ago) so you have to suspect bio-mechanical imbalance?

I downloaded all the maps for PMC tonight - planning out the spots where I reckon I'll need to throw an occy strap at you to keep you in touch (which is just about everywhere from the start).

Take care Tess ;-)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

You are sounding very positive Tess and that is wonderful.

I know how stir crazy you must be by about now not being able to do your daily runs but best to do as the Dr said. Though why on earth he would prescribe pool kicking is beyond me. I was told the kick also affected the ITB so to avoid this. But I guess he knows what he is talking about.

Think of it as a taper to the taper.

And plan now where you will run the 10km because I can tell you if you do it along coro drive - it will be back in no time. Find some grass or a flat trail (I know you hate them) even the track at the uni is better than concrete.

When are you back at the Physio again?

with the icing, you can halffill plastic cups and then use the ice from them to rub up and down your leg - gives ice and massage at same time.

Are you using your massage stick??

mmm think I better send an email.

PS. I had cameras installed outside the regatta so I WILL KNOW if you attempt running before Saturday. *big hugs*

7:04 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Best of luck with the treatment Tess. Still plenty of time before Canberra, You'll be fine. :)

7:55 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Tesso! You goose, running with that pain. Then again, you are a runner.
Enjoy the rest.

7:58 AM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

It must be the season. Gnome is held back too! but I know that I'll be watching both of you Canberra. Be wise and you'll improve quicker.

TA

9:32 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tess YOU WILL Be fine! If you listen to the physio and rest and let the inflamation go down and they will loosen the ITB up and all will be ok. YOu have a brilliant base and done the miles... as has alrady been said the rest will do you good and it is almost taper time anyway!
Drop us an email if you need a chat :-)
Good vibes coming your way!!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Oh no. Sorry to hear about that. A week off will make no difference. hope you have a speedy recovery.

Put the feet up and listen to some good music.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Sorry to hear it Tesso - hope it improves v v quickly with rest and treatment! E

1:54 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Good luck Tesso and I hope you get well soon.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Rest up Tesso and take care. I wish you a speedy recovery and Im sure you will be back in no time, fully fit for the Canberra assault.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ah bugger Tess. You've had a great preparation so far and done all the hard work so it's probably not a bad thing to back off a little this week and let your body recover a little. Take care; good thoughts coming your way !

9:27 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Noooooooooooooo! I've been slack reading blogs the last few days. Maybe early taper Tess. Hope the knee plays ball and you get to run at Canberra.

10:11 PM  
Blogger D said...

Wow Tesso - great job on your 1/2M!!!

Sorry about this current injury. Sounds like you have a great physio and will be back in no time!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Matty said...

Rest up Tesso and I mean rest up!!

Clairie, we better put some cameras outside the ABC Building as well, just so Tess doesn't try to dodge your cameras at the Regatta by going south :)

PM

12:12 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Hang in there Tess - and take it easy (speaking as a former sufferer of ITB friction syndrome and have the scars to prove it!). Its getting too close to the marathon now to go and do anything silly so take it easy.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Take it carefully between now and Canberra Tesso. A track race and a half... you're a worry.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home