Sunday, April 02, 2006

Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps

Friday night was the PCRG Countdown to Gold Coast launch at The Ship Inn. What a great night! It fired me up so much I couldn't delay my run any longer, and so decided I'd head out with the group Saturday morning. I had a pretty restless night, I kept waking up wishing it was time to get out of bed. I think I've missed my running.

Met up with the gang (there were 40 starters this week!) at The Regatta at 6am but basically ran on my own. I didn't want to get caught up in a pack, or talking to someone, as I planned to stop and stretch or even walk at the first sign of a niggle, and I got about 3k before I needed to do that. After that I ran another 3k, stopping and stretch after each km. There was a definite niggle in the right ITB, but nothing like the pain I experienced a week earlier.

It was just 6km. Can I do another 36k next weekend?

Back at The Regatta I got Clairie a classic when I limped towards her and told her I'd twisted my ankle. April Fool :-)))

I saw Adam (physio) mid-morning and told him all about the run. He was happy. And so was I, until he started digging his elbows into my hips :-( I told him I really wanted to do Canberra. Of course he's concerned I may set myself to where I was three weeks ago. So am I. But I assured him I'd do the run/stretch/walk thing and withdraw from the race if the ITB became too painful. Now to assure myself the same thing.

He suggested I just do a couple of runs between now and next Sunday, making them short but at marathon race pace. So I'll see how I pull up from those, and in fact won't make a definite decision until Friday, or even Saturday. At this stage its likely I'll give it a go, though I might get working on some pom poms just in case.

23 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

That is good news, although not great. Great would be you lining up at Canberra fit and aiming for a PB. The best thing about this is that you are moving in the right direction, and I hope it all goes to plan for you.

Nice joke, cruel but very funny :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Yes you sure did get me a good one there Tesso!!! I was gobsmacked. Could not believe it. And you even looked the part all red-faced from the shower I just thought you must have been crying.

I would truly have been devastated if it had happened.

As it was I laughed all the way home (in between the curses for getting me!!).

Great to see you out there and I am glad the sharp pain is no longer there....now to get rid of the niggles too!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I would have loved to have seen Clairie's face.

That sounds promising Tesso. Wait until Saturday. Good luck for the week ahead. :-)

8:01 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

You'll be right mate - a "definite niggle" is nuffin to a trained digger like you!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sending healing good thoughts your way Tesso. Nice April fool's day joke too!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Fingers and toes remain crossed Tess. Cracked me up with the ankle thing. :)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Be careful Tesso, don't want you to be out longer if you injure the ITB during the race. Think of long term. PMC maybe?

10:12 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Looking hopeful Tesso. Hope to see you at the start line. Have a good pain-free week.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Tess, this is looking good & I'm so very pleased there's definite signs of improvement; the only way I'll be making it (following injury & not fully recovered yet) is by taking regular walking breaks right from the start...don't be afraid to do that if you need to!! Next year neither of us will have an injury problem!!!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

That sounds positive Tess! YOu are one tough cookie! And just think if you have to run slowly you can come and pace me :-)

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you are in a very similar injury situation as my husband.

He is a definite maybe for the marathon too and is just waiting and seeing what happens.

Good luck

wt

8:05 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Excellent news Tesso, keep remembering to be sensible and fingers crossed you'll be running across the finish line this weekend :)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

tess i am waiting in suspense to hear if you make it!! I hope that everything goes perfectly this week. i have a good feeling!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I liked the April fool. What a classic. I just pull one off to anyone without starting to laugh.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

The Monthy Python Black Knight rises again.

Good to hear things are improving.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds promising. Mind you I don't think I could pull an April Fools like that without being scared I'd jinx myself!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Eagle said...

I will add my best wishes. But no matter how much 'trying out' running you do this week you will still have to run on Sunday - so please take it very easy this week and leave enough for a good go at it on Sunday.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good on you Tesso. I am glad you are still alive and kicking.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

looking good so far ..... hope you make it through and we see you at the start

5:45 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

We are the croweaters. I have no idea why this is our nickname here in SA but it is.

Ah found an explanation in Wikipedia. May or may not be true. Might put it in as an interesting word on my blog.

Croweater is an Australian slang term for people from South Australia. Early settlers often ate the breast meat of crows, parrots and cockatoos when there was a shortage of red meat and the term croweater entered the lexicon in the late 1800s. The term is not considered derogatory.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Just get to the start line Tesso and you'll be right. You are more than welcome to join Team Luckylegs for her assault on the W75 Australian 50km Record.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's a good thought Horrie... we could do with an extra hand to time the walking breaks, read the maps etc...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Keep the dream alive.

Just lie back, close your eyes and think of Wendall Sailor.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home