Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I can run .... on the weekend ... but not very far ....

As always it was a pretty painful session at physio today. I regretted telling Adam I still had a niggle in the left (good) knee and so that side copped a hammering today as well. He reckons I can have a run on the weekend! When he first said it he said Friday but after that said Saturday. But on my current shift rotation my weekend actually starts on Thursday morning at 7:15 :-)

I reckon late Friday afternoon might be a good compromise, though if I feel even slightly apprehensive about it I won't run. I have to limit it to 5kms, and only on the flat. If it doesn't hurt and I pull up okay afterwards I can do 5km every second day for a week. This is one hell of a taper.

Hit the gym later and then wanted to do some water running. The day was overcast, windy, and it looked like rain so I drove all the way to Chandler to use the indoor pool at the aquatic centre. It took 40 minutes to get there, slow because of roadworks. As I was paying I was informed that I only had another 35mins before the 50 meter pool was being closed to the public. Not impressed seeing though it took me longer than that to get there. Still, 35 minutes was better than nothing. I asked about the other pools in the complex and was told they were closed too.

"All closed?"
"Yes"
"All of them?"
"Yes"
"Well you should put that on your web site!"
"It is"
"Oh, I didn't notice"
"You can use the diving pool"
"For water running?"
"Yes"
"Great!"
"At 8pm"

It was 3:25pm!

23 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Tesso, you are such a lady. If that were a bloke's post I suspect the language might have been a lot more blue. From niggly knees to pathetic pools, it makes for a lot of frustration. So congratulatiosn for keeping it all civil. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Great to hear things are imporving on the injury front Tess.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

So Friday afternoon Tesso heh? I hear the Mooloolaba 5km is on Friday Afternoon....are you sure you havent secretly registered?

If I don't end up going up there to watch I would love to come run with you Friday night - 5/6pm??

We could go to the oval or Uni track and do 5km so it will be easy on the legs - for both of us!!!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

BTW.....that is so funny about the pools.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

oooh forgot to tell you V.Pott is back and racing this Friday.

Claire G asked if we would go up there to cheer her on. Said she needed it!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

I'm just gonna keep posting messages here because I had no-one to talk to on my run this morning and I am missing you ;)

7:43 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Oh Tesso!
You surely won't lose anything in this "special" kind of taper and you don't want to turn up to the start line still injured so it's all for the best.
R2B

8:18 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Geez Tesso - you will be jumping out of your skin by Canberra!

LOL that conversation made me think about the Monty Python Cheese Shop Sketch...

Keep your chin up mate and try not to go stir crazy ;-)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great news Tess! 5km is 5kms... you will enjoy the run :-) Fingers crossed it goes ok!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I assume you will be keeping up the pool work to supplement the meager running program.

Was there a bouzouki player at the pool?

12:43 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

good news! i'm also sending the good karmic vibes up your way! a pool with no pools... reminds me of when i used to work for chicken treat and explaining to customers that we had run out of chicken...

1:54 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

sorry to hear about the knee tesso.
don't let the itb monster win!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Great news Tesso, dont go breaking any speed records, just incase you have conveniently forgotten 5k is 5000m or 12.5 laps of a 400m track. No more :) Take it easy.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

running in the diving pool? would have to be able to hold your breath!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

That swimming business is a bugger Tesso. You'll happy to be back on the open road.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

"You can run .... in three weekends ... very far ...."

7:59 PM  
Blogger miners said...

man these pool gods are turning really nasty. Maybe you need to don more lycra and look like a triathlete - they might treat you kinder ;)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Funny post, even though I'm sure the situation wasnt!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tess, you're in my thoughts every day! I'm up to doing 9km on Tuesday, & hope to get through 13km tomorrow...hell of a long way off 50km!! I understand exactly how you feel, but stay with it & at least we'll both get to the start!!

11:26 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

One of those days hey!

Fingers crossed for your 5km runs - hope the ITB settles down. Will send positive vibes your way!!!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I know this is going to sound really strange....but if I drink coffee at night then I can't sleep but at any other time of the day it doesn't affect me!!!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

What they said. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Tesso, reading this on Friday, hope everything goes well getting back on the running wagon today :)
It all sounds so frustrating. It would drive me mad, especially that drive to the pool.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home