Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Progress (?) Report

Gronk said: When I run I get a single localised pain in the side of the thigh. Like a single entry gunshot wound. Is that what you have or do get pain down the whole length of the ITB ?
All my pain seemed to be concentrated around the bone on the side of the knee at first. Though lately its moved to what I think is my 'lateral collateral ligament'.



Jen said: Don't forget to do your 'good' side as well.
Thanks Jen. I've been doing that as it still has a niggle (like the niggle that turned into ITBFS on my other side).

And 2P, thanks for the hint about the Brauer Joint and Muscle Gel. I found it after not too much searching.

*****

I've been trying to stick to my plan. Every day since I developed it I have done my stretches and exercises at least once and iced two or more times. Every day except one that is.

Friday morning I spent about an hour doing all that stuff then set off to work thinking it was the best my knee had felt in almost two weeks - woohoo! But after a few hours of sitting at the desk I got up to walk and it felt like crap again.

I drove down the coast to see a friend that night. After dinner (mmmmm, tapas) and a couple of reds at Broadbeach we taxi-ed back to Mermaid. Strolled up there to pick up the car the next morning (maybe 1 1/2k) and my knee hurt the whole way. I got more than a little disillusioned so when I got back to Brissie just sat around feeling sorry for myself. I couldn't be bothered doing any of my '12 steps to recovery' other than icing.

Sunday I managed to snap out of it and got back on the wagon .... the injury recovery wagon that is! Been on it ever since.

On a happier note the ITB rolling isn't hurting quite so much, maybe just 6.5 on the Richter Scale as opposed to 10 when I first started it. My core stability is definitely improving. And I think I'm even getting just a little more flexible, but that's not saying anything.

Its back to the physio on Friday. I'm hoping he'll suggest a test run.

So yes Ewen, I am still alive. Alive, but not kicking.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hang in there Tesso & keep doing your 12 steps. It WILL improve but it will take time for the inflammation to subside. Good thoughts coming your way!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Gee that was my race plan for Sunday.

I am still blaming myself for racing past you and making you pick up the pace in that last race, now that I know you were only running on half a knee.

Hang in there, it will get better.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Even looking at the diagram of the knee has me wincing.
Don't give up on all that hard work.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Ah yes the ol' lateral collateral ligament, it still twinges occassionally around there to remind its still alive.. I found my pain started at my knee and mades it way all the way up to my hip :( Keep up the good work with the rolling!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Alive is good.......

Don't give up Tesso, we still have weeks to go until Warwick!

8:16 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Tesso - your legs are far too good to be out of action for too long.

My ITB when it arcs up starts in the spot you are describing but the residual pain is always the same as Gronks. So pretty obvious our ITB's drama's are probably caused by different things - as Gronk says in his blog isolating the cause is the key.

Chin up bud - lots of us in the blogoshere thinking of you ;-)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Thanks Tess. Mine seems to have cured itself somewhat. Hope yours does the same real soon. :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Keep working on it Tesso, there are enough ITB recovery success tales to know that it will work out!

I can speak further to the medicinal values of Bundy Rum, although I do also hear Red Wine helps as well :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Keep your chin up Tesso. It's hard to recognise progress from day to day, but think how it was a few days or weeks ago. I hope you put up your post about private health gripes, it would be great to hear you take on this.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's half good news.

What's it gonna take to make a dream survive?
Who'd got the touch to calm the storm inside?
Who's gonna save you?
Alive and running.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I know how you feel, it's sooooo frustrating. I nearly decided to just forget about running all together last week but then suddenly things started to get better.

I'm sending you lots of healing and positive vibes.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Time off is a good thing. Get over some pain that you may have been running through and then make the rest of the body stronger while fixing the knee. Hope you comeback soon Tess. Wouldn't want you cheering me at C2S would we?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

i do wish you were happy running again ..... i can't add much in the way of advice ... i wonder why they didn't make all the ligaments have better names? .... hope your "upper twang strap" recovers soon

9:08 PM  
Blogger D said...

Tesso - you are absolutely entitled to a day or two of feeling sorry for yourself. Injuries suck. Hang in there - you are a tough woman!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

See you Sunday Tesso. Your smile will be encouragement to many.

7:54 AM  
Blogger TD said...

It's great to read all the support you are getting Tesso and you obviously mean a lot to many people.

You are also getting lots of professional and other advice, which is good.

I will just add my two cents worth. I have previously mentioned I had ITB. I had it bad, in both legs, and complicated by a painful bursitis in my left hip. My ITBs were very tender and sore, a little like rubber bands that had little strength.
I was in despair thinking my running career was over, kaput, sunk without a trace! I had the painful massages and gots lots of advice. Nothing seemed to be working.

In the end I solved the problem myself. Thinking about the injury it occured to me that what was happening was that my weak ITBs were being pulled beyond their normal range. This I had worked out was happening because I had a unusually narrow running gauge, ie, from running on narrow paths my legs were close, perhaps abnormally too close, together. When I opened my stance a little I noticed a clear lessening of the pain in my ITBs. At first it felt strange to be running like this, feeling that my legs were too far apart. In fact, they were probably at their more correct position for my biomechanics. My problems were not solved overnight but this change in gait clearly did help. I have never had any professional opinion on my "discovery" and it is probably not for everyone. All I know is that it worked for me. Sorry this is so long.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

I reckon the tapas and red wine will work best.
Best wishes overcoming the temporary break in transmission.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home