Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sports Doctor Report

Chelle - thanks for the offer of the thick rubber band thingy for resistance work, I've been using the one I had for my previous injury.

2P - I don't believe you watch Dancing With The Stars! How can you watch crap like that ... especially when really good stuff like Big Brother is on another channel ;-)

Ewen - I've been watching a bit of the Pilates class at my gym. Does that count ;-) Might be time to actually join in I think, if I can find a hiding spot down the back of the room.

Everyone else - thanks for the good wishes. I reckon they're working.

*****

Saw the sports doc this morning. He was so thorough, I must've been in there for half an hour. He did a fair bit of prodding and bent my leg every which way but loose. He didn't seem to think there was any fluid floating around in there or any bad tears so I guess that's a good thing. But he was certain there was more than just ITB problems, if fact the ITB was pretty loose.

He showed me this really cool plastic model of a knee and explained all the workings and why different injuries cause pain in certain places and showed me a couple of things that could be my problem. He politely added that it may well be age related breakdown of something in there :-)

He gave me some free samples of Celebrex, enough for five days on, two days off, then another five days on and two days off. If they don't bring any relief then its an MRI. I'm even allowed to have a test run in a few days if the pain disappears :-)

I told him about my goal of completing Warwick and he didn't bat an eyelid. He looks after the Broncos, I guess he's used to crazy sports people who don't want to miss out on anything. In fact with Warwick so close he said that if nothing changes pain-wise I can even book in for the MRI before the second lot of Celebrax.

Meanwhile he said to hold off on the strengthening exercises for the time being - bummer ;-) But walking should be okay - yay, some cardio at last!

I'm feeling confident. No Leonard Cohen songs today ;-)

28 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hey Tesso - I am pleased that there is some action - sounds like a doctor used to crazy sports people is right up your alley! good luck with the celebrex... fingers crossed :)

1:22 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

When I grow up I want to be on dancing with the stars - just waiting for your leg to get better so you can join me - yes - I know I'm not a star or a dancer, but a man can dream can't he?

2:58 PM  
Blogger Eagle said...

Sounds very good news - another wait and see period. Good luck and be patient.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

What not even Hallelujha.

"And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah"

5:28 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Hopefully the celebrex will do some good. Fingers crossed it wont come down to an MRI but it would be interesting to see what is causing the pain.

Anyway goodluck with it, also the 11 May will be when our mini CR enters the world just in time for Warwick :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Looks like all is headed in the right direction!

Careful with that celebrex stuff, I hear it is pretty potent.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

i'm a wreck ... everytime i read your posts now i'm nervous as to what you have to say .... phew .... this is a much better episode

7:40 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like you've found a good sports doc there. Tell him to lay of the age related comments though.. cheeky bloke!

8:15 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Loved your post Tesso. You've got me hooked on this story and I can't wait to see how it pans out. The doc sounds like a breath of fresh air. Fingers crossed from me too.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Man, you must be so frustrated with all of this! Celebrex- that's good stuff that.

10:00 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Sounds promising Tesso.
Whats celebrex for?
I am barracking for you return (preferably for the pentathon sp?)

Cheers R2B

10:14 PM  
Blogger D said...

When you and 2P dance on Dancing w/the Stars be sure and put the video on your blog....

Your positive outlook is so impressive Tesso. Sending positive vibes your way...

11:03 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Much better! Drugs and Red wine and then go for a walk. You'll feel like your floating on air. Seriously hope the knee sorts itself out and you don't need the MRI. Tony Barber on 7 does nothing for me.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sorry Tess!!! Hopefully the doc can sort you out. I was meant to do a short test run before physio tonight, but chickened out in case it started to pain again... I can sypathise. I hope your holding up ok!!!!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Arthritis treatment, crikey!
I reckon we're(runners)all on borrowed time with knees. Being in the implant business, only yesterday I was looking at the latest you beaut titanium knees on offer, not bad <-)

10:48 AM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

sports doctors are good!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Watching and listening is a good introduction Tesso. Really.

I hope he didn't say the Broncos are dosed up on cortisone and pain killers!

It's time to go... Tilli!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

This must be soooooooo frustrating....but you'll get there...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Give Pilates a go, Tess. If you don't like it, you can always do what I did..... drop out from classes 3 times (from boredom!) & then buy a DVD & go solo...that worked for me & I enjoy it every day now.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Tesso, what an indomitable spirit you have. Reading your blog always gives me a lift.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Good luck with the recovery.
Fingers are crossed.

6:22 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Hope this works for you Tesso. Best of luck. Glad you've found a thorough sports doctor and the new treatment works.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Sorry I missed you at Striders Manly 10 km.
I seem to have been sucked into racing at Aths NSW events; golden league stuff ;-).

9:19 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

It was fantastic to meet you on friday night, and again on the saturday.
I hope you're back out there again very soon stronger than ever.
Thanks for the support out on the course, much appreciated :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

tesso - sorry to hear you've had to make the dreaded trip to the sports doc!
just remember that you can lose a week or 2 getting in for the MRI then seeing the sports dude again after - so be sure to plan ahead.
i watch dancing witht he stars too - but only cause i have to :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

oh my gawd Tesso - I wa shoping things had improved during my absence but it doesn't sound liek it. Fingers crossed the Celebrex or something works. Hang in there!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Thanks for your congratulations.
I'm pretty scary off the track too.

Hope the rest and persian rugs are working their magic.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

I just thought I would put a few words of encouragement on your blog whilst I wait for you to post again, but bloody hell 30 comments!!!! No wonder you arent running at the moment.....too busy reading all the comments everyone is sending you! LOL

Well little buddy I hope that MRI is booked and all arranged for by now. If not DO IT NOW.
I ran with Liz this morning (if you can call my huffing and puffing running) and all we talked about the whole way was how much we missed each other (you, me and her) over the past weeks as we have been either not training or not training together.

So hurry up and get the bloody leg sorted out. Your patience must be just about up - mine is.
Nah, just kidding. Make sure you don't injure yourself by running when you shouldn't. I'll be waiting forever for my fav running buddy.

BTW looking forward to tomorrow morning and doing a few kms with you then - hoping of course that my lard arse and I get out of bed. I feel so tired after my run this morning I could sleep all day. Weird.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home