Monday, May 15, 2006

Today was brought to you by the letter G and the number 10

After Saturday's 8k rather than another run I just hit the gym yesterday. I've been a bit slack on that front lately, having not been since before going to Sydney the previous weekend. And as girly as the weights I do are my muscles sure complained about the break. Late in the afternoon I realised I was clean out of quaffing wine so went 'the long way' to the local bottlo, turning it into a good 5k walk.

Today I headed out around 11am for a run, hoping to do at least 8k again. I loaded the iPod with songs by artists starting with the letter 'G' including The Go-Betweens, The Grates, Greg Brown, The Greenhornes and Grandaddy. Small things amuse small minds :-)

The leg was feeling good, my knee was niggly but not painful. Rather than turning around at the 4k mark I continued on into the Gardens. I stopped there for a 'systems check'. I was easily able to bend my leg to stretch my quad - yay! As tempting as it was to continue on I thought I'd better not push my luck and turned for home, all the while waiting for the pain to hit. It did, but not until the 8 1/2k mark. I stopped briefly at a tap and then ran the 1 1/2k to home.

So all up 10k, the most I've done in over 5 weeks and 8 1/2k is the furthest I've gone without pain in that time too. In the words of the Gorillaz ....

I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag
I'm useless, but not for long
The future is coming on

19 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Good stuff!!

I liked the way you were able to turn a trip to the bottleshop into an exercise session. Very adroit bit of rationalizing that ;-)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Only you Tesso could ensure your walk to the bottlo was an excercise stint.

So proud of your developments and that all the news today is encouraging. I think Warwick is looking rosier and rosier. Though I have no doubt whatsoever that you will be hurting with your limited ability to do training over the past weeks.

We can hurt together if you like.

ps....you watch too much sesame street.

3:44 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Yay!! If only the half marathon was the LAST race scheduled at Warcick!

btw - have to disagree with clairie - you can NEVER watch too much sesame street

4:03 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds like running is back on the things to do list!
Always such a good look walking home from the bottle shop. Brown paper bag....

4:27 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well done!
im itching to get out but the rain is holding me back so it looks like going tommorrow after my nightshift.

Your come back is on track!yay!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Ten-K-Tesso. Yahoo! Great going.
Now you just gotta keep on going and going.

7:59 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Blue Labyrinth ;-)

11:19 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Its going to be so good knowing that at the very least you'll be able to provide the post run drinks on Saturday... of course I am sure you will surpass that and do better than you are allowing yourself credit for.

9:51 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Yay! Fingers crossed that you are slowly on the improve.

I like the idea of loading songs of artists starting with a particular letter - might try that myself! You're right - small things amuse small minds. :-)

10:17 AM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Good to see you slipping in some training in every possible way! Good to hear the knee is behaving.

Re yr comment on my blog: I'm skipping the SMH Half and doing the Macleay River Half next month. Saturday was the longest run on the whole program with 4 weeks to go :)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Everything is still crossed for you Tesso. Hope your recovery continues - I'm starting to get some funny looks!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Looking forward to you running a useful 1500 on the weekend Tesso.

Girly weights are my favourite.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Go

Look at your watch now
You're still a super hot female

- Gwen Stefani

9:48 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Am proud of you for taking such good care of yourself and being smart about your recovery, Tesso. Too many runners aren't smart about it. Look forward to catching up at Warwick.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

GGGood news on the leg.
I've got Gary Glitter, Spice Girls, Genesis and Peter Gabriel on my g-list.

Now I go to the bottlo for some 'coke'. Good luck at Warwick.

8:41 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Fantastic post, Tesso. I just loved the way you finished it off and I will remember those words:

"I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag
I'm useless, but not for long
The future is coming on."

To match the author of the post, inspiring stuff.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I'm going to have to get myself an mp3 player. Everybody's doing it (is that a song title)?

12:06 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Great news Tesso, take it easy at Warwick, and while you're there, if you bump into Hermie, ask him about Gold Coke! <-)

Good luck!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Eagle said...

A huge amount of well wishes and I will join the list. All the best with your recovery and all the best for the weekend.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home