Thursday, May 25, 2006

Just Like Starting Over

After being given the go-ahead by the doc early in the week, and with the muscles recovered from Warwick, this morning it was back to Pat's. Checking back through my blog the last real speed session I did was Feb 28th!

On the pgm for today was 1 x 2k, 1 x 1k, 1 x 500m and 1 x 1k (or 2k for the fasties). I'm glad I didn't know this beforehand as its not exactly my favourite and I may have delayed my comeback until next week, especially considering the forecast was for 7 degrees overnight!

Knowing they'd be slow in comparison I wasn't going to time the reps but decided to at the last minute so I would have a benchmark for improvement. They went like this -

2k - 9m02s
1k - 4m20s
500m - 2m08s
1k - 4m49s

They're all a fair way off where I was, especially at this time last year. Still, I'm pretty happy, especially with that first 1k and the 500m. Though if it weren't for Chelle dragging me along with her there's no way I could've done the times I did in those. Just wish I could've kept within cooee of her on that last one.

With the warmup and warmdown it made for 10k all up. In two months I haven't got further than 8k without the ITB giving me grief but this morning it niggled a little but didn't really hurt :-) Three cheers for Celebrex!!!!

16 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yay! On the way back :)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Fantastic! I'm so glad you're not having any nasty after effects from Warwick.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Great news Tessso.
I am doing the half at Doomben.
What are you having a crack at?

6:28 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Great news Tesso, that was a good test for the itb and especially after the Warwick weekend.

Must get me some Celebrex :)

6:37 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey - I'd be happy with those times - not too shabby for someone who has hardly run for ages.

All part of a process mate - you will be firing (after a little pain and hard work) in no time ;-)

Can't wait to read more....

6:48 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Isn't that a song title. So what you saying is that you'll start clocking up the k's again. It's good that you're back.

7:17 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Back
on track
!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Those times look pretty fast to me for someone who hasn't done speedwork for 3 months. Welcome back!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

yaay! Though I dont know who was dragging whom more at points :)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Terribly sad to miss the comeback. But happy happy happy that you got through the session in one piece. Now promise me you will take it easy and follow the 10% rule and listen to your body nag nag nag

Okay so we up for a 40km run next weekend? Or maybe we can do the riverloop - TWICE?

See you at Pat's on tuesday for what should be an hilarious 3km TT. From my end at least.

Newcastle is so boring!!!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is great news Tesso. I hope it stays all smooth sailing.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good to hear that, Tess! Do be careful though not to let the injury return. Take a day off if there's anything more than the usual niggles! Very pleased to know you're back in business!

5:11 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Wonderful news Tesso and great reps. Even though the reps are tough it must feel like magic to be doing them, after what you have been through. It wasn't that long ago you had the Leonard Cohen songs out!!

3:54 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Hi Tesso. Answering your question, in the half I won't be using music as I like to travel light with all the focus on trying to get keep my little legs turning over at a very rapid rate! One day I might be game enough to try music. After all I had no trouble in the marathon with the belt and "4 hour" flag, much to my surprise.
I would like to, if the tempo was right.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

yay!! sounds like all is recovering beautifully - but damn you must be fast when you are injury-free!!!!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home