Monday, May 29, 2006

Drowning My Sorrows

Clairie asked: Are you still seeing the physio and massuse?
Haven't been for a few weeks. I've started doing the physio exercises again (the doc suggested I stop until we saw the results of the MRI). But franky it was all starting to become rather expensive so I'm gonna try and get by without it for a few weeks.

Blkbox asked: Are you still planning on making it to C2S this year?
Somebody stop me!!!

Steve L asked: Was it just coincidence that the pain started after the stretching?
I'm going to experiment with a longer non-stop run soon and see what happens.

Several people asked: Who's Fat Craig Mottram?
Well, he's not really fat but the name sounds good :-) He's not quite as fast as the skinny one, but a damn good runner nonetheless.

*****

After a not so good result from my Saturday morning run I attempted to recover and heal by wallowing in self pity. Strange, it didn't help. I hit the gym mid morning Sunday and confirmed one thing I had been suspicious of, the lunges the physio is getting me to do is aggravating the ITB, I can feel it immediately. So I'm putting a 'no smoking' sticker on those for a while.

Late in the afternoon I hit the bike path for 6k. Still feeling sorry for myself I'd loaded the iPod with songs about drinking :-) I managed to get through the lot without any drama. Just before my last km a guy joined the path about 20 meters in front and was running the same pace. He looked fit, like an ironman, and as tempting as it was just to stick behind him I cranked it up and passed him and kept the speed going right until the end. That made me feel better to push things a bit.

I felt even better knowing I got through the 6k pain free. But wait, there's more. When I got home I found one of my favourite running socks that had been missing in action for a couple of weeks. Woohoo!

12 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Thanks for the comment on my Blog Tesso... made me feel better.
Gosh I wish I could do something to make your knee better.

I getting worried when find a sock becomes a big event....but then again....

9:50 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Dear me I must be tired I left out half the words.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

I thought this was a post about drinking? I'm disgusted. Surely the physio should know what aggravates the injury that you see them for?

11:06 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Heh Tesso - wish I had seen the blog before this morning. I would have had a good chatter to you.

When I had ITB and every time I get tight since - I was told by physio and others to NOT do the lunges. They definitely tighten up the area. Whilst you want to be strong in the quads and inner/outer leg muscles there is not much benefit when your muscles are inflammed. Get rid of the inflammation first, then when you are running pain free start the weight bearing exercises (lunges, leg press etc) to build muscle strength. I go to the gym and I never do these anymore - just too aggravating.

anyhow I don't think you will be drowning your sorrows for long after seeing you out there this morning!! Was great to see you there and made me remember how much fun Pat's can be when we are all there!!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Yaay! A sock orphan is home again.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

hey tesso, sounds like you needed a good sock finding to cheer you up. hope it is continuing to do so!! but it sounds like you are doing all the right things and are still out there whooping iron men. love your work.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hang in the there my fellow injury sufferer! I'm relying on patience and alcohol for my recovery. I wonder who will be 100% first?

9:43 AM  
Blogger miners said...

woo hoo too!! Nothing better than retrieving recalcitrant socks!

Great to hear that C2S is still on the agenda also. I presume the dynamic duo are defending their title? :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Can't complain about giving up lunges! No pain over 6k, such an improvement from a month ago. Gotta be happy, who's drowning their sorrows?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

The prodigal sock has returned.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love when one returns to the flock!!! Yes give the lunges a big flick... they used to make my itb really cranky!!!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That might have been the fat Brad Kahlefeldt you passed Tesso. Well done!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home