Monday, June 12, 2006

And once, at PCRG camp ...

There were around 20 of us all up at the PCRG training camp. Some are doing the full in three weeks, others doing the half or 10k. Our accom was great, we had an entire lodge to ourselves aside from one room that was taken by a guy crewing at the 100k champs the next day. This meant we had our own kitchen and lounge area, complete with a TV that seemed to be stuck on football channels.

The ever thoughtful Langy (CR Runner In The Hills) had made up little pressies for everyone there. It was a Gu (mmmm, mine was tri-berry) and a Noel Coward quote. I'm blogging from work so don't have the quote on me now but will transcribe it in my next post. The Gu I'm saving for the GC Half :-)

Saturday night's buffet style dinner was at the cafe on the complex, and with a long run planned for the next morning it was good to see most people avoiding the curry. After dinner it was back to our lounge area to watch the footy, chat, and eat Tim Tams - thanks Liz and Dan :-)

On Sunday the marathoners did 40mins before running back and joining the rest of us at 6am. Pat led the way and took us down to that part of the GC course that goes past the Runaway Bay Marina and from there we headed north to the turnaround and then back south towards the start/finish area and beyond.

For the first few kms I was pretty much able to hang in with the faster guys but then dropped back a little but still managed to keep them in my sights. My trusty Garmin told me I was doing around 5 min pace but it sure seemed faster than that. I hit the 12k mark at 1 hour and then turned for home. Within about 10 mins my knee starting hurting a little and I could feel one sock rubbing enough to cause a blister so stopped and fixed that. From then on with each successive km I told myself just one more km at that pace, ok, now one more, and again .... it really was hard work. More than once I thought about that Noel Coward quote from Langy and that kept me going.

I maintained my pace until 21k (dead on 1:45) when I allowed myself the luxury of a 100 meter walk, and then ran a more relaxed km before kicking it in the guts for a last faster one. At 23k I hit the corner where the 100k champs runners turned and headed for the complex (they were doing 6.5k loops) so called it quits there. That was until Nat came along so I ran to the finish with her.

We had a group brekky at the centre. The cafe has full length glass doors along the entire length of it that overlooks the track so we were able to watch the 100k-ers as they ran in and did a lap before heading out onto the streets again.

Back to the run. Total time for the 23k was 1:55.19 - so I had averaged 5.01s. It made me realise just how fit I was ... not now but this time last year when I averaged under that for the GC Marathon. Maybe I should've eaten the curry.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like a great camp Tesso. Don't be too hard on yourself, Tesso - you know it will come back

:-)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Thats a great time given all the recent problems you've had with your knee... I really think you'll be surprising yourself at the GC

11:07 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Seems you are getting back into some good form Tesso. Thanks for the updates from GC100km, would of loved to be up there for it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Yes the form & fitness must be returning, well done on what sounds like it was a nice running weekend.

:-)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Like the "World Cup Fever" idea.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Considering the problems with the ITB, 23km at 5 minute pace is not too shabby. Please be kind to yourself. We are not doing this to bash ourselves up!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is the pace I had for my half marathon. I know you could do better but don't be so hard on yourself.

You are recovering from a pretty bad injury. You will get back to your old form soon.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Will be good to watch you come back and get AIPB's (after injury personal bests) because that is what I know you are going to do.

Your body has a memory and soon enough it will be back up to where it was running both endurance and speed wise. It won't happen overnight....but it will happen. I am sure I will be struggling to get/stay in front of you tomorrow and as for next month...forget it. You have guts and determination. I can't wait to see the improvements each week.

Hope you have finished work by now.
xxx

5:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I agree with Clairie Tess... now the fin will be watching those times tumble each progressive week! Still... I would love to do 5min km's at the half in a few weeks. Its all relative :-)Are you going to be at Gold Coast??? It will be great to catch up!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I just don't think you are really challenging yourself ... should have gone the curry!

7:33 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Definately NO curry (I left the sad details of that sort of thing out of my latest posting...) :-)

Don't know about a time for the C2S yet. Did 67 last year - very excited about that. May do fractionally better this year, and would be honoured to provide any form of windbreak necessary :-)

Gnome

8:19 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Damn knees!
(don't tell a certain person his mother just swore!).

8:28 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

What a great camp! It may feel slow for you now, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it more once the knee is fully recovered and your fitness improves again.

Thanks for your encouragement and support. I really appreciate it :)

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home