Friday, June 30, 2006

Deek Dinner



Last night was the 'Dinner With Deek' that Pat had organised for the group. We started with drinks and nibblies on the deck of The Ship Inn before moving inside for dinner, an auction (raising funds for the Qld Cancer Fund), and a video of the final 10k of the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games Marathon. During this Pat and Peter Meares provided 'live commentary' which was an absolute hoot. Peter was actually involved in the commentary back in 1982.

Following this Deek spoke. He made marathon running sound almost easy. Well, not quite easy but certainly achievable for anyone willing to give it a go.

It was a fantastic night. When Deek first came in and settled down Clairie and I wandered over for a chat and of course a photo shoot. I was standing and cheering in Sir Fred Schonnell Dve as they ran up to UQ and back that day in 1982, and thought he might remember me :-) Actually I was somewhere around where the pic above was taken.

Auction items and raffle prizes were kindly donated by PCRG members. Things up for grabs included a basket of very special wines (Dan) and a home cooked Burmese meal for four including all the cleaning up (Elaine and Kerryn). Clairie, Tara, Ciaran and I decided to pool resources for both of these but they ended up way out of our price range.

Not to be totally defeated for a mere $61 I 'won' some of Dan's running clothes that he'd left behind after various sessions. Clairie told me I would have had a fight on my hands if it was his Phantom costume :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger TD said...

Lovely post, Tesso. Who could ever forget Deek's 82 run. Still the classic marathon for me as an observer - I was in Brisbane at the time too but watching the race on TV. And I remember well the Peter Meares commentary during the Games. Must have been a hoot for you and Clairie to actually meet Deek himself as well. Deek was my first true running hero and will always be there in the pantheon for me.

8:46 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Like so many things running related Tesso - I am deeply envious of you - Deek was my original running hero - still is one of em.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sounds like an awesome night. I often think of Robert de Castella legendary 82 win when I am pounding along the roads.

9:41 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Nice post Tesso i love all "six degrees of seperation stuff!"

Nice photo also!
You guys in PCRG are really lucky to have such a great community spirit and a great leader too!

Cheers R2B

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home