Thursday, July 20, 2006

Comical Imbalance

There was a smaller than usual crew at Pat's this morning. Maybe everyone has heard that on Fridays there are less people and are going then. Which means that tomorrow will be crowded. So then they'll switch back to Thursday. Which means next Thursday will be crowded. So maybe next week I'll go Friday. I think I can keep on top of this game :-)

Today was - 1 x 4 min fast, 30 sec jog, 1 x 2 min fast, 30 sec SR, 1 x 4 min fast, 30 sec jog, 1 x 2 min fast. Then there was one last sprint over the Goodwill Bridge and up the hill to the traffic light. As the final person was coming in to do that hill Donna (my C2S team mate) and I joined in and ran it again - our dedicated training has begun!

It was a great session, I'm starting to feel a little speed coming back into the legs. I'm not quite at the same place in the food chain that I was pre-injury. Getting there though. Today I was forced to run as fast as I could as I had Simmo nagging me most of the way. Its gonna be a long 3k TT if we stick together ;-)

I'm being inspired by other bloggers and the cross training they do so headed to the gym mid-morning for my first ever Pilates class. But the instructor had hurt her back (not doing Pilates I hope!) and it was replaced by Body Balance.

I was the absolute worst in the class by miles, how do they balance on one leg and hold the other one straight out to the side??? Then there's the flexibility stuff ...

Bend over and put your hands on your shins, now slowly move them to the floor and rest them there, now move them back to your shins.

My hands never left my shins in the first place!

11 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

Mine never did as well (leave my shins).

I had a go (at Body Balance) for awhile and then decided it just wasn't for me. My downward dog was more like a Bridge over the River Kwai

4:11 PM  
Blogger miners said...

I'm not sure mine would actually get to the shins in the first place. are you allowed to sit down?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

That's Funny! although I can't comment I find it hard to stand on one leg with my eyes closed.

Enjoy your small or was it the big group tomorrow.... well anyway enjoy, no matter what the size is :)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Flexibility - that's the one thing I (normally) do better than other ultra runners. I may be a plodder, but how many of us can do the splits, eh? (We take our small victories...) Good on you for cross training! Which gym do you train at anyway?

8:05 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

swear by pilates, though havent been for a long time and have to make do with the ol' DVD on occassion now - if i could find a class i could get to i would be there every week!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Okay, I've finally caught up and just read your last 10 posts. Boy you've been busy!
First of all, congrats on the GC half! Secondly, I first started reading your blog when you first had the injury trouble pre Canberra Marathon. It's so great reading all the running you are doing now!
Thirdly, there are some really wierd positions in Body Balance, bums in the air, legs in the air. No inhibitions in that class!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I can't touch my toes either.

8:08 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Well I'm going to stand up for body balance or should that be bum up ? It's is great training for the core and really stretches you. Be brave and try it again one day :-).

TA

9:32 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I'm impressed. I can't even make it to my shins.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

*LOL* It makes me feel so much better to know that so many other runners can't touch their toes either...

Pilates is disgustingly hard! I much prefer yoga or body balance. One day I aspire to be able to put my hands on the floor!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

LOL!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home