Wednesday, July 26, 2006

At Sixes & Sevens

Things are almost back to normal post GC at PCRG. Pat took us out to under the Story Bridge on Tuesday and said we were doing 6 x 500m reps, finishing with a run up our favourite hill. The reps are run out and back, and the hill is at the other end to where we start. While I was still doing the out/back count in my head and wondering how it would work, Clairie declared we'd just have to do 7 reps to get to the bottom of the hill. D'oh, of course!

There was a bit of conjecture about whether the 500m was actually 500m, so I didn't bother timing them. Stupid really, I should have done so just to be sure I was running consistently. Instead I thought I'd just try to stay as close as possible to the usual suspects, and managed to do that. Still a little behind where I was PI (pre injury) but progress has been made.

The seventh one was a killer, for some reason the legs started complaining before I even hit that hill. And trying to run up it I was reduced to a shuffle. Did I say progress had been made? C2S is gonna hurt :-(

After all the 500s the group had become pretty spread out. The faster runners had already got to the top of the big hill before I got to the bottom and some came back to do it all again, encouraging others on their way up. Once I made it to the top I turned around and did the same. I ended up doing another three halfs.

Went and saw Mark the Massage Man in the afternoon. I told him about the recent quad pain and realised then that for the first time in a couple of weeks it hadn't played up at all in the morning. So I thought his pummelling of it wouldn't hurt too much. I was wrong.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stu Mac said...

Hill repeats are tough work, well done Tesso.


Re my arm action; when I start to tire I tighten in the shoulder region and lift my shoulders and at the same time reduce my arm action, meaning it is more up & down. So when reminded, either by myself, Burkie or others who are aware, I need to relax and lower my arms and concentrate on a good push forward and back, as soon as I do this I can feel an immediate difference.

You would think if it makes such a difference I would do it all the time, but it is very strange what us runners do when we start to get tired....


Stu

9:08 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Those massages do hurt but I'm sure they do us good too! Looking forward to seeing you at C2S.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Hill reps; you have just given me nightmares of what is in store for me tomorrow. But your are right C2S is not pleasant either.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Good work on the hill reps, sounds tough. Hope your quads not hurting too much now from that massage.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Nice one Tess. You'll be scooting up that HBH next month.

I've concluded my race plan now: Follow Tessooooo ! :)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I thought you did 4 hills? I watched in amazement knowing I didn't even have 2 hills in me. I also only did 6 reps jogging back to the base of the hill. You have done a huge workout and if that isn't where you were up to PI I am surprised.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I second Bernie!! Only 3 and a bit weeks to go :-) It will be great fun.... just think of JD at the other end with a tamborine :-)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Know what you mean, Tess! But I still enjoy hill training sessions...a feeling of "well done" at the end!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Now if uh, six uh, huh, turned out to be nine
Oh I don't mind, I don't mind

10:10 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I think I might try some hill repeats using Anderson St hill. You've given me some ideas, thanks.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Great workout wasn't it Tesso? You were so strong in the middle set - getting ahead of people who were ahead of you earlier on. Shows endurance (and strength). No wonder you tired on the last one - have you looked at your racing/training/working schedule lately? It is pretty hectic.

I would much prefer this session than the time trial next week.

8:05 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Oh Tesso, not again!
you really do have to take it easy, you are always running on the line!

Good run at 15k even better to have negatively split it too!

Have a great day,
R2B

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home