Thursday, December 13, 2007

Kurrawa to Duranbah Relay

The three weeks up until last Sunday have really been just getting ready for the annual Kurrawa to Duranbah Relay (25k each way).


Mon 19/11 - easy 10k
Tue 20/11 - ran to and from PCRG - 20k
Wed 21/11 - lap of Mt Coot-tha in 53.xx - 9.5k
Thu 22/11 - PCRG (mix of 4 and 2min efforts) - 9k
Fri 23/11 - ran to PCRG (same sess as Thurs, took it easier) - 14k
Sat 24/11 - easy run (New Farm Park loop) - 14.5k
Sun 25/11 - Boarders Half Marathon - aimed for 5 min pace and finished in 1:45.30 (happy to achieve goal though not happy it felt as hard as it did!).
3k warmdown for a daily total of 24k

101k for the week



Mon 26/11 - easy 5k
Tue 27/11 - PCRG (mix of 2min, 1min and 30sec efforts) - 9k)
Wed 28/11 - 2k w-u then 9.5k lap of Mt Coot-tha in 51.xx - 11.5k
Thu 29/11 - ran to South Bank for PCRG - 14k
Fri 30/11 - ran long way from work to South Bank for PCRG - 15k
Sat 1/12 - easy 5k then 18k at 5:15 pace - 23k
Sun 2/12 - ran to UQ via South Bank (10k) for BRRC Dash & Splash (5k) .... just dashed, couldn't be bothered splashing :-) - 15k

92.5k for the week



Mon 3/12 - easy 5k
Tue 4/12 - ran from work to PCRG for 3k TT.
Hoped for sub 13, ran 12:26 :-) - 11k
Wed 5/12 - Mt Coot-tha in 49:32. Happy with sub 50 for Coot-tha but didn't break 20 mins for 'the big hill' up to the ABC (a goal).
With a 4k warmup - 13.5k
Thu 6/12 - ran from home to PCRG for the monthly post TT steady run - 16k
Fri 7/12 - PCRG (mix of 3min, 2min, 1min and 30sec efforts) - 9.5kSat 8/12 - easy run as Kurrawa the next day .... and legs still a bit sore from Coot-tha - 5k
Sun 9/12 - Kurrawa to Duranbah - 25k

85k for the week


For Kurrawa I had an ultimate goal of 2:05 but knew it was a tough ask and expected to be closer to 2:10. I ran 2:08 last year, though that was the second leg and its a tad warmer by then. Then again I was fitter, my TTs were faster.

The first few kms of the race there was a bit of a mad dash, but I held myself back and sat on 5 minute pace. I'd say from about 4k onwards I started passing people, and nobody passed me for the rest of the run .... well nobody that I didn't get again shortly afterwards :-) I managed to sit on 5 minute pace the whole way and finished in 2:05.39. If not for my shoelaces coming undone (twice!!!), and for taking a wrong turn that was actually not a wrong turn and being called back by the guys behind me, I reckon I would have snuck under 2:05.

I felt really strong the whole way, so much better than in the Boarder's Half two weeks prior. Very happy with that considering I didn't taper. And best of all I had no DOMS to speak of in the days that followed.

I think something is working :-)

21 Comments:

Blogger IHateToast said...

you fell for the "wrong turn and call back" whammy? that's the oldest trick in the book.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Great job Tesso. Don't you just love that when you feel strong right through a race? Seems to be becoming a habit with you. But don't you just hate that when you don't quite know which bit of the training to put it down to!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd say ...every bit of that training contributed, Tess. Go for it !

6:13 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

So I guess the Brisbane Marathon will be a doddle.
BTW, IT is in the mail (heh heh - yeah!)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Well done Tesso, there's no stopping you.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Well done Tesso. Sunday was a doozy humidity wise. So you did well.

8:09 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

hey thats a nice coot-tha.
and a nice k2d.
who called u back? kel? ;)
sorry i didnt pop down this year.

9:38 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I like the way you nonchalantly slipped a 12:26 TT in the middle there... :-) Now all we have to do is teach you to do your shoes up and it's Beijing, here we come!

Gnome

p.s. in answer to your question re argy-bargy across the CC half finish line, I don't think that either of us could have raised an elbow (though, come to think of it, if I'd just have run a bit off line I could have put him in the water... :-) JD better watch out next year!)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

A Kurrawa PB. Excellent stuff Tesso. Next year a 1:xx for sure.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Hey Tesso great running there, I reckon you would have gotten me if the race was 28k. I noticed that your team came in the top 20 aswell, Nice one!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Fantastic run at Kurrawa Tesso, congratulations. You certainly have recovered from your injury problems earlier in the year. The consistency sure is paying off?

Soooo, what's next?

2:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's a damn good run Tesso. Something is working. Keep it going - you're on track for some more great races after the bonenkai season :)

The 12:26 didn't go unnoticed either.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Great to see you back in Blogland. I wondered what had happened to you the last few weeks and I'm very happy to see that you're running really well. Long may it continue!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Good to see you rolling along nicely as usual Tess. You are putting together some good quality training. I'm sure it will put you in good shape for Canberra.

5:52 AM  
Blogger steven trevaskis (aka Travy) said...

I do not read many post of coolbloggers but that's a top job

6:34 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

something is working alright - those consistent weeks of 90-110k!
god to catch you for drinks and thanks for the pudding

9:20 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

All this training and good results has given you the jump on our Clairie.

She won't be taking a break to have anyomre children in a hurry.

You can be happy in knowing, if nothing esle, that you have done your part for population control ;)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

You're in great form. Strong race, nice result so close to your goal. Good on you for not letting anyone pass you. Happy xmas.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Merry Christmas Tesso. I hope you have a wonderful day & that Santa is good to you :-)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I thought ho hos were sexist! Thanks for your good wishes. Merry Christmas and a fast 2008 to you too! See you in April. There'll be a double CR gut-punch waiting for you - an extra one for your 1000th post.

2:22 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

merry xmas tesso!!!!!!!!!
cu friday.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home