Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Dusk To Dawn, Winning A Watch, Nursing A Niggle

Picking up from where I left off two weeks ago ...

Thu 7/2 - 4k w-u then abt 10k at av 5:04 pace at PCRG steady run.

Fri 8/2 - PCRG. 3 x 2 mins and lots of 1 mins.

Sat 9/2 - 17k at easy to steady pace.

Sun 10/2 - ran in Gale Force relay team at Caboolture Dusk to Dawn. 3 hrs from 3am until 6am. This was going to be my long run and so wasn't going to race it. Due to severe sleep deprivation (maybe 30 minutes all night) was doing it tough for the first two hours, running at about 5:40 pace. Once the sun came up I was able to lift my game and the last half hour or so was around 4:40s. Did 33k in the 3hrs (total of 34.5k including w-u and w-d).

Weekly total - 114k



Mon 11/2 - easy 8k recovery run.

Tue 12/2 - 13k incl PRCG which was a mix of shorter efforts (1min, 30sec, 15sec). This was the third last session where Pat was giving away a watch (started mid December) and I finally had my name drawn out of the box - thanks Celeste :-) And Pat!

Wed 13/2 - a very lazy 10k in the arvo. Afterwards I had a slight niggle in the adductor/groin.

Thu 14/2 - tired from work so took it easy at PCRG. Sess was 2 x 3min then turn around and do 1 x 4min, 1 x however long it takes to get back to the start. Plus 4 x full GC hills. Niggle still just a niggle.

Fri 15/2 - same PCRG format as Thurs but went 100%. Did 4 1/2 hills :-) New push up PB post run - 45. Niggle still a niggle, though as the day wore on it got worse.

Getting cheered (or maybe jeered) up the hill by Matty

Sat 16/2 - the groin/adductor thing wasn't too good, it hurt a little to walk. Thought I'd front for the long run and see what happened. Running faster there was no pain, slower running there was a bit. Called it a day after 20k.

Sun 17/2 - pain still there so rested.

Weekly total - 77k



Mon 18/2 & 19/2 - rest. By Monday night I was virtually pain free but took Tuesday off just to be sure.

Wed 20/2 - all better ... if not I'd soon find out. Ran a bit over 18k averaging just under 5 min pace. Lots of PCRG-ers out and about on what was a great morning for it.



So feeling okay again after that little scare. Today's run, although at a solid pace, wasn't too stressful at all. Suppose three days off helped in that regard :)

22 Comments:

Blogger speedygeoff said...

In every photo you post you are looking fitter and faster..
And, nice racing singlet!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Great stuff @ D2D Tesso. How come you got the dodgiest time slot to run ?

Good news that the niggle went away too. :)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Free stuff. Noice :)
Glad the niggle was just a niggle. Very nicely managed.

6:28 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Remember what Simon & Garfunkel sang in Feelin' Groovy:
"Slow down..."
You've got no right to be doing this sort of training at our age.

Did you get to the Caboolture Council farewell bash??

BTW I've lost your mobile when I changed phones. I'll PM you...

6:46 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Now why am I not surprised to see the following phrase in your blog - "...it hurt a little to walk. Thought I'd front for the long run..."

Jeez Tesso! When are you going to learn? You hurt, you *slow down*! :-) :-)

You're mad, but we love you anyhow :-)

Gnome

8:36 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Still churning out the big K's Tesso. Watch those niggles. We want you tip-top for Canberra.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

A niggle in the groin is not something you should keep training through. Maybe a few days off will help it. Nice run at Dusk 2 Dawn.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that's a niggle you want - one that makes you run faster so it doesn't hurt!

Seriously though, glad that it went away, just make sure it doesn't come back.

Nice run in the D2D. I can't believe that you were running 5:40s in the dark!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Smashing effort Tesso and I'm impressed with you taking the time off and being sensible. It obviously worked for you both mentally and physically.

I just have no idea how you ran D2D on such sleep. I can't cope on 6 hours let alone 30mins!!!!

12:29 PM  
Blogger plu said...

Hi Tesso,

Are you sure it is the groin or is it referred pain. I am getting some good insight to how all this is happening. Have you had a marked change in your cadence and stride length for example.

cheers Plu

8:30 PM  
Blogger plu said...

Tesso,

Following up your reply to my comment. When I went to the Dural gym this week I got on the treadmill and experimented with stride length and cadence for the same speed 10km per hour. I noticed that I had to work harder for a shorter stride length and increased cadence to hold the same pace. It felt uncomfortable from a muscle perspective. Then I went back into longer strides and purposely loped to slow the cadence.

I mentioned all this to the chiro on Wednesday and he said the longer stride length allows gravity to give momentum after the back swing of the leg. If you have a shorter stride length the muscle has to kick in more after the back swing of the leg.

Sort of made sense to me. The next thing I am going to do is video a session like I did last Tuesday on the treadmill to see what it looks like.

cheers Plu

9:24 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

My view differs: cutting down distance for a few days would allow better recovery, than cutting down speed/tempo while still running long would. In my experience. In most cases. Still, the Tesso animal I have not studied! She is probably an enigma; at least, that's what Ewen tells me.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Spody, I can't remember telling you that! I can only recall saying she was silly for doing 114k weeks and long runs at marathon race-pace. However, she runs 3k as fast as me, so what would I know?

Yes, if the niggle is no more, keep the 180 cadence going.

And I bet you ran 4:40s at the end of a 3 hour run because the sun came up and the spectators could see how fast you were running ;)

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Geez, I wish my niggles would p*ss off after 3 days rest!

Don't mind me - I'm just jealous.

That's a huge block of training Tesso. Can't wait to catch up with you again in Canberra

7:19 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Great work Tesso. Congratulations on the watch and managing that niggle successfully.

He, Carol ran a nice controlled Tokyo, around 3:40 (her 2nd full in a month). Would have been better if she didn't spend the first 20 minutes doubled over trying to recover from your punch in the guts that I conveyed. Not actually being a blogger, she wasn't quite prepared for it. Still, should toughen 'er up a bit for next time ay ;-)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gee Tess, you're going great guns! You seem to just keep getting fitter & better, but watch the niggle this close to Canberra.

You sure inspire me to keep at it...in my own little way!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

Hey, we can compare watches!
Sensible to take it easy Tesso, you manage injuries very well i must say.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Like Jen I wish my niggles were as well behaved. I hope it's all better and you can continue running fast, slow, long or short as much as you like!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

What's running without a niggle here and there. My current niggle (achilles) has held me up for 7 days.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Hope you are still managing to keep the niggles at bay.

8:12 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

3am til 6am ouch!
i hate to say it but from the photo your six pack looks much better than mine.

9:08 PM  
Blogger IHateToast said...

the draw was rigged!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home