Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Steak & Kidney

Very easy run Monday.

Tuesday at PCRG was hills - probably my fave session.

Late night Tuesday at The Police (concert, not station!) so skipped the early start at Mt Coot-tha and ran a cruisey 15k later. Also didn't want hills 2 days in a row.

Thurs and Fri at PCRG was 1 x 4mins, 2 x 3mins, 2 x 2 mins. Went 100% on Thurs and about 80% on Fri.

Spent the long weekend in Sydney and did the CR 5k Challenge on Saturday. Started with JD and Rags in the 22min group and fear of them running me over kept me honest. Splits were roughly 4:20, 4:20, 4:20, 4:16, 4:16. Nice and consitent with a strong finish - can't complain about that. Total time was 21:32, my best 5k in a couple of years. Can't complain about that either :-)

Long run Sunday - ran from Annandale to Five Dock to Drummoyne and hooked up with a bunch of Striders and set off on the Western Wanderers course. Hung in with them and their sub 5:10 pace for about 18k then took the shortcut back to the bay (and slowed down) before running back to Annandale. About 38k all up in 3hrs 25mins.

Total for the week - 110k

Heading back from Friday's PCRG sess at West End Ironman Scott.

All is still going well. In the past I've usually done 80 to 90k per week in the lead up to marathons. The extra kms are coming from doing a slow recovery run rather than having a rest day (though I will rest if I feel I need to), and doing a warmup before the warmup at PCRG. Anyway, it didn't seem to hurt my 5k on Saturday.

I think I'll max out at 110k though. I'm not tired or too niggly but don't want to take any chances.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

You are on fire Tesso!

I'm looking forward to watching all your hard work pay off in Canberra :-)

7:37 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

I think you are someone the high mileage works for so keep up the good work. Pay attention to anything if it starts to bother you at all.

Are you still going to the gym as much?

I am hoping that the Lydiard (?) approach works because that is what I intend to do too. Just getting out for a run whenever I can so more emphasis on distance than speed etc.

Can't wait until it is a long run with the two of us together!!

7:42 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Lydiard approaches work.
As long as you keep singing.

De do do do, de da da da.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I can't believe the milage you've been doing the past few months. Wow! Did I miss something, what race are you leading upto?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

110K looking great!

You hear what Claire said ... pay attention to me and I will bother you.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Congrats on the fast 5k. Nearly two years you reckon? So what was Canberra in 2006? Is the PB on for 2008 at Canberra?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

110k and still going strong. great stuff. yes, it is obviously paying off for you. well done on the 5k!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

21:31 will be my target on Saturday night ;)

I'll bother you just as much as Mark (with some CR gut punches) in Canberra.

Spodychoff also does warm-ups before the warm-ups, so it must be good.

3:05 PM  
Blogger IHateToast said...

i'm a movie junkie. he looks like anthony heald.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Tesso, you're putting in some serious k's, and they seem to be working! Nice work - I can't wait to see how it pays off in Canberra.

3:20 PM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

Excellent 5k, and sounds like a wonderful long run too. I will run a mile (fast I hope maybe a PB hahaha *LOL* :-)) if someone even hints at blogger punching me in the belly directly after doing 300 ab crunches

Way 2 go! with your running, sounds very promising for an awesome 2008!!!

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home