Thursday, August 03, 2006

Johnny Bravo

What's been missing from my pgm since the injury is the longish mid-week run and I figured it was about time to revive it. With the whole day off Wednesday it was a perfect opportunity. But after Tuesday night's speed session I really wasn't up to it in the morning. About 5pm I headed out and put in a pretty sound and slightly hilly 12k up past UQ to St Lucia Golf Club. I ran past home and back enough to get the distance up.

However it was hardly a longish run. So Plan B came into action - running to and from Pat's this morning (5k each way).

Today on the pgm was a steady run followed by the 'no watch 1k'. I set out with Toasty, and we weren't too far behind the lead pack when we got to the floating walkway - hmmm, thought it felt a bit fast. After a quick water stop we forged on and at 26 mins were almost at the Bowls Club. I turned around here, Toasty wanted to get to the Club.

I tried to keep the pace up all the way back, and caught up with one of the Michaels in the group. A quick chat revealed his Noosa goal was 95 mins, similar to mine. We hung in together and didn't slow until hitting The Gardens for the 1k thing.

I'd nominated 4:30 but felt like I was running maybe 4:40 pace. Zipping down the pathway we all gave a bit of a hoy and a wave to some short balding bespeckled dude wearing his trusty Australian tracksuit. He was power walking in the opposite direction surrounded by bodyguards.

Got to the finish and Pat called out 4:18. It sure didn't feel that fast, I'm still dubious about the accuracy. Congrats to Toasty who was spot on with his 3:50 prediction!

Back at The Ship Inn all we C2S-ers in the group regathered and did a bolt up the little steep hill to Vulture St. Nothing like last minute training.

The run back home was a killer. Starting up again after all the post session formalities was difficult. It was the old story, just one more km and I'll walk .... just one more km and I'll walk. I made it home without the walk, which meant it was 21k in total for the morning. I was completely knackered and after a little bit of stretching collapsed on the couch on my deck. What a great feeling!

12 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

Tesso, you should have invited hime to join you at Pat's! Did you ask him why petrol and bananas are so expensive?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

big morning tesso! looking forward to meeting you at C2S :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

I bet you were thinking, "Now where's a bloody screwdriver when you need it!?

Great solid run though. Just think, string 41 more of those km together and you'd be threatening a 3-hour marathon!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

OMG, I'm feeling tired just reading your blog Tess....

See you next weekend!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Sounds like you deserved that rest after those two sessions in one 24 hour period.

10:02 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Its amazing what funny little people you meet early in the morning!

Sounds like a good workout. I hate to say that my mid-week run has now dwindled down to about 9-10km over the last couple of weeks. And now I've gone and aggravated my lower back at yoga - I don't feel like doing much at all except grizzle and grumble!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

See you have more pace than you thought. Good one!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Good on you tess! It is sooo hard to get going again after a break... 21km not too shabby!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Aki said...

4:18 pace in a training run for 12k is mad.

4:46 PM  
Blogger TD said...

What a morning, Tesso. I was tired just thinking about what you did. Boy, are you going to be in some form or what for the C2S. You'll zip up Heart Break Hill while the rest of us just stare at it.

7:37 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Your longish mid week run is about as long as my longish fortnightly long run!
CU at C2S
Cheers R2B

8:41 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Oh la la out running with the Prime Minister hey?

My kids love watching cartoons on Foxtel and 'Johnny Bravo' is my favourite.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home