Wednesday, August 02, 2006

1k Reps at Intraining

I wasn't able to leave work early to get to the monthly 3k TT yesterday, that had me feeling all day that I needed to do something more than just a run. So I went along to the Intraining speed session at UQ in the evening.

Its over three years since I've been to one of these and was happy to see some familiar faces from back then. With the Bridge to Brisbane race on Sunday the session was to be an easy one - 3 x 1k reps at B2B pace with a 1k jog recovery. For those not racing Sunday Coach Barry suggested the reps be done at 5k pace. He assured me that next week would be back to normal, ie hard yakka.

I've entered B2B (not 100% sure of attendance though) but wanted to work a bit harder than the pace I'd be running Sunday and even faster than 5k pace so opted for something close to, but not totally, flat out. My times were ....

4:02
4:07
4:02

I deliberately put the brakes on a little in the second one just to prevent the 'fade factor'. Thanks Superflake for that advice :-)

The warmup and warmdowns are shorter than at Pat's. All up the session was around 9k. I felt like I had plenty left in the tank at the end.

I'm pretty happy with the rep times. And I'm glad I made the effort to get there and reaquint myself with the group. As much as I prefer running in the morning its not always easy getting away from work to get to Pat's, and this is a good alternative.

10 Comments:

Blogger RunDave said...

Hi Tesso, thanks for the comments. I'll keep trying to update the blog and add a few more interesting words in there. I already have another one in mind to put up in a few days.

12:06 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Sounds like you had a fun session with the added bonus of catching up with friends. All the best for Sunday.

TA

4:11 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Great work on those 1k reps student. Now add two more and JD will be getting scared.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oooh very nice work Tess! great that you had some left in thetank! So much for chasing you at city to surf.... I will only see your dust :-)

6:35 PM  
Blogger TD said...

I've always found 1 k reps really hard work Tesso, but you made it sound like fun. I liked the way you paced yourself to get through the session without too much agony.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Nice times for your reps Tesso. Lucky JD has retired from C2S.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I missed you on Tuesday but I guess it's only fair everyone gets a little Tesso time.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

There's some serious speed work there. Well done.

It's good to have a change in the training program ;-) (it's a pretty skanky crowd at Pat's).

9:38 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Go Tesso Go!

mmmm well cant be secret training because you blogged about it - but I am glad you didn't enjoy it as much as Pat's - don't want to lose you again!

Whats this bit about being unsure of B2B??? How about we run it together? Aim for 54???

8:07 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

That's what I love about Brisbane, if you cant make it to session there is always another just waiting to hurt you.

Nice times too Tesso.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home