Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Finally!

I couldn't run yesterday morn as I had an early morning meeting with my brother and sister at Ticketek. We're making the annual pilgrimage to Sydney for the NRL Grand Final and wanted to snaffle decent seats. Along with other the other Broncos supporters that were lined up we wondered who we'd be cheering for at the match.

Anyway, I headed out at around 4.30pm. The morning had been perfect but by then it was overcast and a huge wind had blown up. Not the most pleasant of conditions. Luckily I'd only planned on 6k at a cruisey pace. I did that, though hardly enjoyed it due to the wind. At least I felt as if the legs pulled up well from the B2B.

******

On Pat's pgm today was fartlek - lots of 1 min, 30 sec and 15 sec efforts. I usually struggle on this shorter stuff, but really gave it everything and was more than pleased with how 'fast' I was moving.

At the end of all of that we had one last 500 meter effort, followed by a run up the killer hill. Pat told us that the first ten to get to the top of the hill could run it a second time. I could see Clairie was thinking what I was thinking, we wanted to be in the top ten! I was around 9th until maybe the 400 meter mark but then was overtaken by several people. Climbing up the hill even more got me. But there was no way I was going to miss out on running up that hill twice!

So Clairie and I set off to do it again. I was behind her and hoped she'd just do half a hill .... or maybe three quarters .... er, seven eights .... Nah, she had to go right to the bottom. Going back up my lungs weren't too bad but my quads were screaming.

Then on the warmdown we decided to sprint up the hill on the Goodwill Bridge. And the one beside The Ship Inn up to Vulture St.

I've actually been struggling a bit with motivation lately, the road to recovery from the stupid ITB injury sure has been a long one. I'm still not 100%. And my hill work needs ... work :-)

But today, for the first time in a long time, I was really happy with the results of the session. As much as it hurt, gee it felt great.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

Glad you're getting your mojo back Tesso. It's very frustrating for someone at your level to work your way back from injury to your previous fitness levels. At least I wasn't that fit to start with :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

You know you can watch the NRL grandfinal from the warmth and comfort of your loungeroom.

It seems like months ago when you sufferred your injury, it's really taking that long to find your groove. It must have been sooooooo frustrating.

9:51 AM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

I went to last couple of NRL GF's, but not this year. Hope the Dragons recover to make it though ;)

Great session there. Hope you have a great time at C2S on the weekend :)

11:23 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good fo ryou Tesso! On Monday night speedygeoff's run session involved 20 hill repeats! I picke dthe wrong night to return to his sessions! My motivation has been all over the place lately but I am really looking forward to this weekend and hopefully bumping into some familiar faces!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Speaking as a Sea Eagles supporter I won't be seeing you then! Actually I think it will be Storm vs Bulldogs at the moment.

5:54 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

my guess is you'll be cheering for either Storm or Bulldogs. Maybe The Chaser guys should be there beforehand to liven things up.
"say no to voilence mate" : how pathetic was that response from the Bulldogs supporter to them!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

What's all this talk about NRL?
Go West Coast!!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Peaking for C2S, sounds very promising.

You've got more chance of seeing Dell off the coke than the skanky Broncos at the NRL final.

8:50 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Fartlek is supposed to be fun!
Good on you for showing the way it should be done!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Good luck for C2S this weekend.

After your music fiasco in the B2B may I suggest you load this one up!

http://interglacial.com/~sburke/stuff/cage_433.html

9:51 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Look out, she's baaaaack!

9:58 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

It must be a frustrating time to be a Broncos fan (c: You asked me not long ago if I was taking music with me to C2S - I can't do it, as crazy as this sounds, I love the sound of thousands of feet hittig the bitumen and the plastic cups hitting the pavement and not to mention the bands playing and the people on the sidewalk cheering even though they have no idea who you are. Its all part of the brilliant experience of C2S.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Raiders v Storm will be a great game Tesso - you'll love it!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Struggling with motivation?
Stoopid niggly injuries?
Nah, I haven't got any idea what that would be like ;-)

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home