Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown

News from the physio is the hammy tear is all but healed, though the muscles are still tight and the glutes need strengthening and the back muscles need loosening and and and ....

Anyway, he's basically given me open slather runningwise (not hills or short sprints though). Still, I'm erring on the side of caution and not going much faster than 4:45s for the time being.

Its been good to pick up the mileage again, with averages over 70k the past two weeks.

Friday morn was an 18k-er at the GC. Followed it up with 22k on Saturday back here in Brissie. Gotta say the Saturday run is the best I've felt since even before the hammy went. According to Blair's trusty Garmin we were averaging 5:20s - seemed slower which is a good sign. I felt like I could have kept going though was having a bit of a sock issue due to my shoelaces being too loose, and also I'd forgotten my sunnies. Amazing how quickly you get out of practice with the basics that are usually just routine.

Sooooo, after much procrastination I've decided to do the full, it will be my 19th standard marathon. Now to start worrying ....

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Terrific news, Tess! No need to worry or have the 20th breakdown...if I finish the 'half' before you finish the 'full', I'll be there to cheer you in!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Great News Tesso, look forward to seeing you there!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

C'mon don't do it. You don't want to hurt the hammy and be out again. Just do the half please?

5:18 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Just wondering if the Stones also sang "Back in Business". Or if we will get a series of Stones titles. I'd like to see that!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Pom poms are at the ready, Tesso

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You are a gutsy girl Tesso making that decision so soon after tearing your hammy.

Good luck with it. Unfortunately I won't be there this year to cheer you on. I will, however, be thinking of you & sending you telepathic cheers instead!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35b7M-BtYI

You're Grate .... I mean Great!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Here it comes, here it comes,
Here comes your 19th CR belly punch!

See you and your abs soon :)

9:29 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Way to go Tesso - best of luck for an awesome run. Looking forward to catching up afterwards for coffee, champagne, chocolate!!!

9:52 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

giddyup!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Eric / Elvis !?! said...

Wow thats great news !
"5:20's felt slow" Oh yeah thats a good sign
Go Girl !

6:21 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Was there ever any doubt?

7:25 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

I think you've done the right thing. But if everything goes pear shaped I'm going to say that "right thing" comment referred to punching Ewen in the guts!

Have a great race.

7:50 PM  
Blogger mike said...

Good luck Tesso. I took the easy option re injury & I'll be on the side-lines to cheer you on.

7:15 PM  
Blogger IHateToast said...

it's hammy time.

now don those shiny gold pants and do a little dance:

7:02 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Only hours away...hope it all goes well. I have faith in you. 3:28.
Steve

10:55 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Hope you ran well in GCM, sorry we didn't catch up, I was a dns re - gastro, late Saturday night.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that's guts (and not a punch in them)!

Hope all went well Tesso, and can't wait to hear the stories!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home